Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New machine >

New machine

New machine

Old 09-28-2019, 09:56 AM

Default New machine

I am looking at a new machine. Currently, I have a Sapphire which I have never 'fell in love with'. Right now it needs repairing (again). I am considering a Viking Brilliance 75Q. DOes anyone have this machine? Your comments please - both pros and cons
Old 09-28-2019, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

Unless it's a very high end machine I would buy one from Amazon or other online machine site. Why? Because after using it and find out the machine isn't a good match for you, it's easy to return. A dealer will not do that even an hour after you buy it. That is my pet peeve about high dollar machines. Even car dealers will let you return a new car within a few days now. I bought three machines from Amazon before finding the right fit for me. Returned two with no problem at all after sewing on them at home.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:40 AM

I agree with Onebyone. I bought a Juki TL2010Q on Amazon from SewVac and they were wonderful. If I had a question, they emailed me immediately and even called me to 'walk' me through an issue. When we couldn't resolve it, they said to just return it (since I was within my 30 days) and reorder. Couldn't have been nicer!
Old 09-28-2019, 12:23 PM
mkc

If you are not happy with your current Viking, why are you considering another model from the same brand? Usually, if someone is frustrated with there machine, they look at some of the other brand options.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:19 PM

i have not heard anything good about Viking in a while.

Do you have any dealers near you where you can try machines? That is the best way to go. Don't assume that any brand is out of your reach; many dealers offer used machines at good prices.

You can find reviews online @ www.patternreview.com. I think to see full reviews, you have to join, but I've never gotten emails or spam from them.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:17 AM

I was a Viking enthusiast for a long time till I had issues with them. I am now a Babylock lover, have 3. I absolutely love the Aria. The Vikings have sat unused for months. They make great paperweights.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:03 AM

In recent years I have stayed away from dealers for new sewing machines. I have bought 2 from amazon and one from Walmart. Because of the amount of sewing I do I discovered I was going through high end machines just as quickly as lower end machines. I found that it was easy to return to the vender online than it was to get service from a local dealer. I save the box for the "just in case I need to send it out". It is in the shed. It has been several years now since I have sent any of my primary machines out or back. Online venders seem to aim to please. I only sent one new machine back. The company actually cross shipped it for me so I had it in a week and a half. Nices service ever.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:37 AM

I really love my Bernina. I have several machines and my most expensive is a Viking Sapphire. I have come to the conclusion I don’t need such a complex machine with so many “bells and whistles “ when all I do is piece my quilts. I have several older machines and just love them...2 Featherweights, a Treadle, a 1951 Viking, a Janome and a Bernina all of which I have found at estate sales or on eBay.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:42 AM

I own three machines: 1) a Viking Diamond - 10 years old, 2) a Babylock Solaris - 1 year old and a 3) Singer 301A - almost 60 years old. Although I personally have never had any problem with my Viking, I have two friends who have had nothing but trouble and have not and cannot get any solutions to any of the problems; needless to say, I dread the day I have problems. The reason I purchased it is because it is the only dealer in our town, and now they are out of business. Viking seems to be going downhill from everything I have read here on the Board. I wouldn't trade my Solaris for anything; I still am learning, but I really love it. I do embroidering, sewing and quilting on both my Diamond and Solaris. I now tend to lean towards my Babylock because of the throat space, and the classes that have been offered and use my Diamond for embroidery just because of its familiarity (although I am quickly learning on my Solaris. My Singer is the machine I sewed with up until 10 years ago and still use it for retreats, workshops, piecing, etc......it is my workhorse. It has never been in a shop for repairs...just for cleaning and check ups. Therefore, my advise is to check out other suggestions before purchasing.

Last edited by Little Lulu; 09-29-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:56 AM

I think it's the luck of the draw with any machine. I've always been a Viking person...Started with the Lily sewing machine, then their basic emb machine EM10 upgraded 4 mths later to the combo sew/emb SE and just recently their Epic...All my Vikings are still working and used and I've never had any big issues. With me once your invested, your invested between hoops, software, feet etc...