Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Picture of  Bat In my Bedroom Window >

Picture of Bat In my Bedroom Window

Picture of Bat In my Bedroom Window

Old 04-27-2009, 03:41 PM

We have one too. One year we painted the house and we kept finding him or her??? once behind the shutter when we took it down, then again behind an eagle we had over the garage door.
Then he came in our bedroom, cause we pulled the air conditioner in. Had a hard time getting him out..We built him a house but he'd never use it. But with all our mosquitos, I'm glad he's still around. Wish we had more...outside!!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Justquilting
We have one too. One year we painted the house and we kept finding him or her??? once behind the shutter when we took it down, then again behind an eagle we had over the garage door.
Then he came in our bedroom, cause we pulled the air conditioner in. Had a hard time getting him out..We built him a house but he'd never use it. But with all our mosquitos, I'm glad he's still around. Wish we had more...outside!!
Apparently down by the river( which is behind my house) there is a place where more bats live. We dont usually have a problem with mosquitos here.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:59 PM

Send a few of them up here. We have to sit in a screen house when we're outside. Between the black flies & mosquitos all summer. :roll: :lol: Our summers are too short not too enjoy it..
Old 04-27-2009, 04:29 PM

OMG Henry - that it freaking me out!!!! I totally think they are cool, but at a distance. I don't know how I'd feel with him staring at me through the window. :shock:
Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 PM

Henry, I'm kinda jealous. I've wanted to build a bat house (or two) to put high up in our tree, but found we really don't have bats around here. Disappointing. They are great pest control....not to mention cute.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky
Henry, I'm kinda jealous. I've wanted to build a bat house (or two) to put high up in our tree, but found we really don't have bats around here. Disappointing. They are great pest control....not to mention cute.
exactly! :):):)
Old 04-27-2009, 05:10 PM

That is so VERY COOL! :-)

We have small bats in this country, but I've only ever seen them in the zoo, never around home.

It would be awesome to have one living on your house! Of course, we don't have rabies here either, so that probably makes it less scary for me. :-)
Old 04-27-2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
That is so VERY COOL! :-)

We have small bats in this country, but I've only ever seen them in the zoo, never around home.

It would be awesome to have one living on your house! Of course, we don't have rabies here either, so that probably makes it less scary for me. :-)
Well we had them in the attic 3 years ago and we closed the attic off after they left with wire mesh so they couldnt get back in. So they went down by the river to an outcropping there and started nesting there
But this one seems to love the house so it just comes around in April and it will leave around September.

One bat at a house isnt a problem, 20 bats or more is the problem.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:18 PM

We're pretty boring, we only have a wee family of sparrows nesting in the roof above our bedroom. We have been able to hear the babies all summer, and patter of the parent's feet coming in to feed them. I won't let hubby block the hole off till they've all left the nest and gone out on their own. He's not impressed! LOL

I don't know how much of a problem bat bites are in your country, but over here we lose a lot of people every year to motor accidents. I figure you're much more likely to die in a car crash than an animal attack, so why fear them.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:56 PM

When I was a kid we lived in a 3 story house with an attic and we would get bats in there...
It was pretty cool!
Then we would go fishing at dusk in this lake and the bats, like the swallows, would dive bomb our lines...
I am thinking of putting up a bat box where we live now.
They are very good for insects and mosquitos.
Too cool! But I like cool and unusual things.
Right now I am being bombarded with food requests from a young crow and a very pregnant squirrel.
Kirsten