Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice >

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 PM

Default A Good Start

I've been plugging away, with my late start it hasn't been easy, but this is what I have so far, It's been fun watching everything come together up to this point, now I need to set a goal of how many blocks to complete each day to keep me moving!
Attached Thumbnails 9blocks-done.jpg  

Last edited by pjnesler; 01-06-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Tweety: I went to Urban Elementz looking for the panto. Found some really nice ones but din't find "Celtic Curlz" is it on another site? Now here comes the really stupid question. What form does the panto come in, is it a plastic template or is it something else?
On their web site just type in Celtic Curlz in their search space. I just did it and it came right up.

Pjnesler your blocks are beautiful!!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:39 AM

PJ: Love your quilt. I am going to stick with this, I am a little less than half done piecing the center but I love it. The only thing I would like to know is why I keep putting the last row of the star on upside down.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:17 PM

Everyone's quilts are looking so good. Still plodding along like in the fable The Tortoise and the Hare. Now that I have seen the quilts I like this one much better than Bonnie's Orca Bay.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
Okay, I really need help. This is so humbling. I have to admit, I thought I was a pretty good quilter. My points usually match up pretty well, but these chevron blocks have me pulling my hair out. The tops that have been posted so far look really good, so it's not a universal problem, just a "me" problem. So I need one of two things from my lovely quilting friends if you would be so kind.

1) If you finished your top and your chevron pieces don't match up (where the orange piece of the HST touches the green chevron), please show some closeups of that spot along with the overall top so I'll be able to see that indeed, not having perfect points won't matter once it's finished.
Or 2) tell me how on earth you pin to make those spots match up. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious and when I understand from someone else how it's done, I'll get it.
I'll be crossing my fingers that someone can help me, otherwise I might just put this darn thing away and never finish it! Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
Nila
My blocks aren't perfect but I have found a way to get those points at least as close as possible
this might help
The Birds in the Air block and the Chevron blocks are the two being joined, right?
So I will match all the corners as best as I can then put a pin
Attached Thumbnails dscf0073.jpg   dscf0074.jpg   dscf0076.jpg   dscf0077.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 03:58 PM

Oh, my those are really close up pics LOL
Anyway. You can see how I do the pinning and most of the time I am pretty close but not always. I am not a perfectionist and close enough is OK most of the time
Old 01-07-2014, 04:04 PM

Peaceandjoy- thanks so much for your comment...I too get all worried sometimes that mine aren't good enough but because I am not the perfectionist type I have tried not to sweat those things and accept that I make wonderful quilts and each one gives me something new to learn and I always (OK, mostly always) do it better the next time!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:15 PM

Absolutely georgeous peaceandjoy
Old 01-07-2014, 04:27 PM

Caroline: I agree re the Orca quilt. I think part of my problem was to large a range of greens and purples, so the color didn't really make a statement. Sure can't say that about my CS.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:05 PM

Cathie, Thank you for the pictures. That's pretty much what I ended up doing after trying a few different approaches. I'm not sure why my first few were so far off (they were really bad), but I'm working on finishing up the squares this evening and although not perfect, they are perfectly acceptable which is what I usually strive for anyway.

I'm so impressed by everyone's color combinations. It's such fun seeing the pictures!