Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you wash your fabric before you cut and sew it? >
  • Do you wash your fabric before you cut and sew it?

• Do you wash your fabric before you cut and sew it?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
    I don't usually wash, I like the "wrinkley" look as I like to do traditional designs and I feel like they look older than they are. I only wash the fabric if when I pick it up it feels like it would bleed or is stiff. Gentle cycle cold always. I only usually iron if it's really wrinkley too. I don't have enough time to worry about washing and ironing fabric before cutting. and as most are scrappy, I don't think it really matters much anyway
    I don't wash fab before using it....exception, of course, with red, dark blue, black (just in case)..then I don't "wash" it, simply cut a small piece and put it in a cup of HOT water and see what happens...if it bleeds, it NEVER will be used by me, I give that away. I don't use starch when piecing(bug food), occasionally sizing.....never washed batting in all these years.....don't wash or even rinse after completing. I just rec'd the fall edition of fons/porter mag and in the antique quilt section there was a quilt featured from the 1800s and museum curator comment on its pristine condition included the phrase....and never washed........Quilts on our beds (3/4) are only washed once a year, aired and fluffed weekly. Some that I have made are still in cedar chest (in pillowcases) not yet ever used.....I take them out once a year, put them on a bed for a week, let them relax and then refold(not the same way) and store again....or give away a few - to make room for the new ones. that is my quilt-life.
    Old 09-01-2011, 06:07 AM

OHH Yes, I wash and dry new fabrics before I put them away in my stash. I don't want them to fade AFTER I make the quilt and it bleeds. I had a wine color just the other day from Hancock Fabric that bled all over, big time when I washed it. Rather be safe, than sorry::::
    Old 09-01-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by BMP
    NOPE- NADA -NEVER

Used to but unless it's for OBW, DITTO to Bonnie's answer
    Old 09-01-2011, 06:49 AM

Only if I get it from a thrift shop, yard sale etc. Don't want critters in my house.
    Old 09-01-2011, 06:50 AM

No, I don't prewash either. I make samples for a LQS and they are always in a hurry for the finished product.
    Old 09-01-2011, 06:58 AM

Our LQS owner makes tons of quilts for the store plus personal, friends, etc. She never washes before. If figure if she can do it, so can I. However, when done I wash it with a color catcher. I, as well, love the wrinkled olde time look.
    Old 09-01-2011, 07:18 AM

I always wash before cutting
    Old 09-01-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC
    I've started washing every single piece in my stash. I started doing to because once I came up with an idea, I would pick out the fabric, wash it, line dry (we don't have a dryer) then iron. By the time it was all done, I had moved on to somethingelse. This way I can just grab fabric from my stash, give it a quick pressing and on with my quilt project.

Now every new piece of fabric coming through the door is washed before it makes to to the sewing room.
    Ditto. I prefer to work with washed fabric, since most of the tops I make will eventually be washed. I will use starch occasionally, depending on the block pattern and type of pieces.
    Old 09-01-2011, 07:33 AM

Thank You! Who knew? I was concerned about fabric being manufactured overseas. Maybe I should be more concerned about the products from this country.
    Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 AM

yep, as soon as I take it home, first thing I do wash and iron