Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best lighting for cutting table >

Best lighting for cutting table

Best lighting for cutting table

Old 10-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by DebbE
DH set up my quilt rm after our kitchen remodel by using the old kitchen wall cabinets/floor cabinets on one side of the room. Perfect height for cutting, etc, and neutral countertop on top. He then took 1x6's & built a long/skinny open shelving unit that is directly under the wall cabinets, the entire length. That holds small items, pictures, etc. He attached a set of inexpensive Ikea mini flood lights that light up my work area wonderfully. All done beautifully, painted white with additional shelving between the 2 banks of base cabinets for extra storage under the counter, which I've got covered with removable curtain attached with velcro (so its washable). LOVE the lights, it makes such a difference & the perfect height. DH is a wonder! Other side of room is full of Ikea white open shelving with folded fabrics, books, etc. Small room, but organized to the max!
I'd love to see your room. Could you post a pic, DebbE?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:26 PM

[quote=Quiltgranny]Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem with glare from the gooseneck craft lamp I'm using to see to cut at my cutting table. See pic below. I do not have any overhead light in this room, just a variety of table and floor lamps.

I don't have an answer for you, but I have to comment on how organized your cutting table area is...Kudos to you.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by patski
ott light when Joanns has them on sale. Great light and I have a couple 1 standing ($59) one desk top ($29)
Wow! That's a great price! My floor lamp cost a little over $100 5 months ago, and that was at 50% off at Joann's. They do have a variety of different floor lamps, so maybe the discrepancy is in which lamp we have. Here's the one I have:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd27998

It is currently on sale for 50% off, same price as what I paid: $104.99.

Where do you see them for the price you quoted above?

Thanks,
Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by DebbE
DH set up my quilt rm after our kitchen remodel by using the old kitchen wall cabinets/floor cabinets on one side of the room. Perfect height for cutting, etc, and neutral countertop on top. He then took 1x6's & built a long/skinny open shelving unit that is directly under the wall cabinets, the entire length. That holds small items, pictures, etc. He attached a set of inexpensive Ikea mini flood lights that light up my work area wonderfully. All done beautifully, painted white with additional shelving between the 2 banks of base cabinets for extra storage under the counter, which I've got covered with removable curtain attached with velcro (so its washable). LOVE the lights, it makes such a difference & the perfect height. DH is a wonder! Other side of room is full of Ikea white open shelving with folded fabrics, books, etc. Small room, but organized to the max!
Sounds wonderful! Do you have a picture of your sewing space? I'll be we'd all love to see it. Thanks so much for sharing. :thumbup:
Old 10-20-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
How about the new Reveal bulbs, also supposed to be true color
I really like those bulbs; use them in our reading lamps and in one in here in the sewing room above my computer. I hadn't thought of trying one in my gooseneck lamp as I'm wondering if the maximum of 60 watts is enough for me to see by. Food for thought.

Thanks,
Old 10-20-2011, 02:51 PM
ns

I use an OTT Lite that hooks to my table. It works great.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:10 PM

I have the same light you do and I put a light bulb called Bright Effects, Bright White (from Lowe's) and it's wonderful, cool too.
Also where did you get that great Color Wheel on your wall?
Old 10-20-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Roberta
I love you color wheel poster on the wall. Did you buy it locally?
Thanks, Roberta. I bought it from alibris.com, but it is available from many stores, including amazon.com, etc. I bought it at alibris.com because it was the least expensive at the time. I like that it is double sided and has two different views. I have found it to be quite helpful.

It retails for $9.95, but can be found cheaper at some places. For instance, the first seller listed at alibris.com is selling it for $5.83 plus shipping. I

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/9781607053507

http://www.amazon.com/Studio-Color-W.../dp/1607053500
Old 10-20-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz
In the area where there is not enough room for a flourescent light, I have a "torch lamp" where the light shines on the ceiling. Works great.
Thank you for your suggestion. Amazing how many wonderful responses I've had to my question. I knew I could count on everyone here. :thumbup:
Old 10-20-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Teach

I don't have an answer for you, but I have to comment on how organized your cutting table area is...Kudos to you.
Thank you. Of course, it doesn't always look this nice, but I try to keep it cleaned off in between projects. I don't have a lot of flat surfaces in here and often use it for other things, too.

Much appreciated,