Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best lighting for cutting table >

Best lighting for cutting table

Best lighting for cutting table

Old 10-19-2011, 06:10 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem with glare from the gooseneck craft lamp I'm using to see to cut at my cutting table. See pic below. I do not have any overhead light in this room, just a variety of table and floor lamps.

I'd like to know what types of lighting you're using that provide the best lighting for this task and are budget friendly. I tried using my small Ott desk lamp that is usually next to my sewing machine, but it didn't provide near enough light.

Thanks in advance,

Cutting table - lamp on right side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274063[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-274010.jpe  
Old 10-19-2011, 06:21 PM

I have a lot of floresent lights down the center of the room. but my cutting area is a 14+foot counter down one side of the room perfect height and easy to use but not good lighting so I will be watching for ansewers too.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:27 PM

Try one of the inexpensive under counter type flourescent lights and just attach it to the wall above your cutting table. They have plug in ends on the wiring so you can just plug it into the same socket you're using for your goose neck lamp. It will make a world of difference! I just had my DH hang a shop light above my quilting frame because that room didn't have a ceiling light either and I can actually quilt at night now!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM

I've had success with a floor lamp that reflects light off the ceiling.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
Try one of the inexpensive under counter type flourescent lights and just attach it to the wall above your cutting table. They have plug in ends on the wiring so you can just plug it into the same socket you're using for your goose neck lamp. It will make a world of difference! I just had my DH hang a shop light above my quilting frame because that room didn't have a ceiling light either and I can actually quilt at night now!!!
Thank you, Rose. So, you're referring to something like this, for example?

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Earth-Lig...9078578&sr=8-6

I see where this unit has a 3 yr warranty, whereas some other brands have one year. This model, a 21.5" light is only $14.90 through amazon.com. Not bad, huh?

Much appreciated. :thumbup:
Old 10-19-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
Hmm, that's an interesting idea, too. Might be one of those conundrums; how a light shining upwards could provide downward light to see by. :lol: We have one in the office. I'll go check it out.

Thanks,
Old 10-19-2011, 07:09 PM

Try using the OTT lightbulbs in your gooseneck. They have them at Lowe's or Home Depot. If I remember correctly, the bulbs were like $5 or $6 each. Lots cheaper than buying a OTT lamp.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Originally Posted by Peckish
Hmm, that's an interesting idea, too. Might be one of those conundrums; how a light shining upwards could provide downward light to see by. :lol: We have one in the office. I'll go check it out.

Thanks,
When I first read your post, I thought your main concern was glare, which I thought would be helped by a floor lamp shining onto the ceiling, thereby diffusing the light. My lamp is halogen, which gives off a lot of light, and my ceiling was recently painted a very bright white. However, if you do get a halogen lamp, be sure not to put it close to things such as curtains or hanging plants, and use rubber gloves to change the bulb. (Touching a halogen bulb will leave oil on it, and the bulb will burn out quickly.)

Hope this helps!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rose L
DITTO this...and you now can find the DAYLIGHT bulbs in the office stores!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by sewingladydi
Try using the OTT lightbulbs in your gooseneck. They have them at Lowe's or Home Depot. If I remember correctly, the bulbs were like $5 or $6 each. Lots cheaper than buying a OTT lamp.
I'm only familiar with the Ott bulbs that push into a special socket in their special lamps. You're saying they make one that has a normal screw type bulb like regular bulbs do?

Thanks,