Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best lighting for cutting table >

Best lighting for cutting table

Best lighting for cutting table

Old 10-19-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
When I first read your post, I thought your main concern was glare, which I thought would be helped by a floor lamp shining onto the ceiling, thereby diffusing the light. My lamp is halogen, which gives off a lot of light, and my ceiling was recently painted a very bright white. However, if you do get a halogen lamp, be sure not to put it close to things such as curtains or hanging plants, and use rubber gloves to change the bulb. (Touching a halogen bulb will leave oil on it, and the bulb will burn out quickly.)

Hope this helps!
Yes, it does help. Thanks so much for the reminder on how to properly handle those halogen bulbs. We haven't changed one in years! And, the floor lamp I was talking about is a halogen light. They seem to burn pretty hot tho, don't they?

Thanks,
Old 10-19-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Rose L
Try one of the inexpensive under counter type flourescent lights and just attach it to the wall above your cutting table. They have plug in ends on the wiring so you can just plug it into the same socket you're using for your goose neck lamp. It will make a world of difference! I just had my DH hang a shop light above my quilting frame because that room didn't have a ceiling light either and I can actually quilt at night now!!!
DITTO this...and you now can find the DAYLIGHT bulbs in the office stores!
Thank you. I'll check this out. :thumbup:
Old 10-19-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Yes, it does help. Thanks so much for the reminder on how to properly handle those halogen bulbs. We haven't changed one in years! And, the floor lamp I was talking about is a halogen light. They seem to burn pretty hot tho, don't they?
Yes, they do burn hot, which is why you want to keep them away from drapes, etc. I usually only use mine for 2-3 hours in the evening.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 PM

I use the same lamp you do over my ironing table. I had trouble with the bulb heating up so my DH got something called "The Bulb", it's 120v and it burns cool with no glare. I've had it in my lamp for over 5 years so it's long lasting as well.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
Yes, they do burn hot, which is why you want to keep them away from drapes, etc. I usually only use mine for 2-3 hours in the evening.
Our halogen has a two way light in it; 150 and 300 watts, or something like that. When set at the brighter light, the bulb goes off after only 10-15 minutes as a safety feature - guess it's getting too hot. Became quite annoying, so we hardly use it anymore.

Thank you for all your helpful comments,
Old 10-19-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
I use the same lamp you do over my ironing table. I had trouble with the bulb heating up so my DH got something called "The Bulb", it's 120v and it burns cool with no glare. I've had it in my lamp for over 5 years so it's long lasting as well.
I wonder if you'd mind pointing me in the right direction as to where I can find out more about "the bulb", please? I did a bit of searching and wasn't able to find anything about it.

Thanks so much,
Old 10-19-2011, 11:09 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem with glare from the gooseneck craft lamp I'm using to see to cut at my cutting table. See pic below. I do not have any overhead light in this room, just a variety of table and floor lamps.

I'd like to know what types of lighting you're using that provide the best lighting for this task and are budget friendly. I tried using my small Ott desk lamp that is usually next to my sewing machine, but it didn't provide near enough light.

Thanks in advance,
Quiltgranny,
You can try a florescent(sp) with 1 cool white and 1 warm white bulb in it and that should give you a pretty full spectrum of light without buying expensive Ott bulbs or halogen bulbs. If you still have too much glare try the florescent light with a white umbrella between you and the light. It will defuse the light like a photographer's in their studio.
Just an idea for ya.
:D
:XD:
Old 10-20-2011, 03:45 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem with glare from the gooseneck craft lamp I'm using to see to cut at my cutting table. See pic below. I do not have any overhead light in this room, just a variety of table and floor lamps.

I'd like to know what types of lighting you're using that provide the best lighting for this task and are budget friendly. I tried using my small Ott desk lamp that is usually next to my sewing machine, but it didn't provide near enough light.

Thanks in advance,
I lucked out. When I finally was able to take over the family room for sewing, I got some real pluses. We had a pool table for years so had two big pool table ceiling lights. My cutting table is directly under them. Also size.... room is 15' x 24'.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:54 AM

I would try hanging a shop light over the table.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:14 AM

When my sewing room was redone last year, we changed the light fixture in the ceiling. My Long Arm quilter friend found a rectangular ceiling fixture with four neon daylight tubes inside at Home Depot, and after she had it installed her quilting room was exceptionally bright with no glare at all.

I went to Home Depot, and they also sell a round one that is about 20" across, and has two neon daylight tubes inside, incredible the difference it made over my sewing table. I took a picture without the cover on it, and had to turn it off - it is that bright. It is just like sewing outside in the sunshine. It only cost approx. $75, but in the US is probably much cheaper. Another bonus is if I'm feeling tired during the day, I just have to walk into that room and turn on the light - makes me feel wide awake again.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-274164.jpe