Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best lighting for cutting table >

Best lighting for cutting table

Best lighting for cutting table

Old 10-20-2011, 04:26 AM

[quote=Quiltgranny]
Originally Posted by sewingladydi
Try using the OTT lightbulbs in your gooseneck. They have them at Lowe's or Home Depot. If I remember correctly, the bulbs were like $5 or $6 each. Lots cheaper than buying a OTT lamp.
I'm only familiar with the Ott bulbs that push into a special socket in their special lamps. You're saying they make one that has a normal screw type bulb like regular bulbs do?

Yep, screws in like a regular bulb.

The halogens give good light also, but they get very hot. My DH is an electrical engineer and he is not a big fan of halogen due to how hot they get.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 AM

I have a Ottlite floor model that provides enough light at my cutting table. I place it behind the table and it illuminates my cutting mat.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:35 AM

You just need a diffuser. In photography you want a lot of light, just not glaring bright. If you make a cover for your light out of some white organza, you'll have bright light but no glare. For the size light shown in your photo, just make a large yo-yo kind of thingy with a small tie to close over your light (like a shower cap??).
Old 10-20-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L
Try one of the inexpensive under counter type flourescent lights and just attach it to the wall above your cutting table. They have plug in ends on the wiring so you can just plug it into the same socket you're using for your goose neck lamp. It will make a world of difference! I just had my DH hang a shop light above my quilting frame because that room didn't have a ceiling light either and I can actually quilt at night now!!!
This is what my DH did for me also.. as a matter a fact..he borrowed one from his shop for me to try first. Loved it, so went and bought a couple for my room. Don't use them all at the same time, but do use all of them at one time or another.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:55 AM
QKO

Another idea -- what I did in the sewing room. Went to Home Depot or Lowes (can't remember which) and got a couple of track lights, end power caps, and some gooseneck halogen fixtures that I can aim wherever needed.

Screwed them in high on the wall.

These just plug in the wall and come with a built-in switchbox on the plug.

[img]http://www.sierranevadaquilters.com/pics/lights.jpg[/img]
Old 10-20-2011, 06:31 AM

I always thought your light should come over your left shoulder. Maybe just switch the light to the left side? Then there won't be any glare.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:31 AM

I always thought your light should come over your left shoulder. Maybe just switch the light to the left side? Then there won't be any glare.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:44 AM

[quote=QKO]Another idea -- what I did in the sewing room. Went to Home Depot or Lowes (can't remember which) and got a couple of track lights, end power caps, and some gooseneck halogen fixtures that I can aim wherever needed.

Screwed them in high on the wall.

These just plug in the wall and come with a built-in switchbox on the plug.

I have track lights over my cutting & sewing tables, but the light is still not as good as the light from the OTT bulbs. I use a floor lamp (less than $40 at Lowe's I think). It has 3 lights on it. They swivel and you can direct them as needed.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:52 AM

What is on the left, encased with rulers?
Old 10-20-2011, 06:56 AM

DH set up my quilt rm after our kitchen remodel by using the old kitchen wall cabinets/floor cabinets on one side of the room. Perfect height for cutting, etc, and neutral countertop on top. He then took 1x6's & built a long/skinny open shelving unit that is directly under the wall cabinets, the entire length. That holds small items, pictures, etc. He attached a set of inexpensive Ikea mini flood lights that light up my work area wonderfully. All done beautifully, painted white with additional shelving between the 2 banks of base cabinets for extra storage under the counter, which I've got covered with removable curtain attached with velcro (so its washable). LOVE the lights, it makes such a difference & the perfect height. DH is a wonder! Other side of room is full of Ikea white open shelving with folded fabrics, books, etc. Small room, but organized to the max!