Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one getting nothing done? >

Am I the only one getting nothing done?

Am I the only one getting nothing done?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 AM

Same here, I haven't done anything fantastic in months. I had shoulder surgery in January plus my basement gets really cold in the winter and I didn't feel like going down there. I did put a quilt together and started a BOM. I am trying to finish up a table runner that will be the death of me. I've gone down and sewn a few pieces only to find out that it was wrong, pulled it out, got mad and left it. Went down again a couple weeks later and did the same thing. I can't seem to get this stupid table runner done and gone.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 AM

You are about to embark onto another phase of your life - something that (if you were me) you have looked forward to. It is very scary to change and you are seeing the changes in work, and looming ahead are the changes in your life. Take it easy on yourself - the best is yet to come. It took me longer than most to adjust to retirement - planned way too much and fretted way too much. Sit back and enjoy the next few weeks - concentrate on the good things coming your way when you retire, no getting up at the crack of dawn if you don't want to; no sitting through boring meetings, no anxiety about quotas, or customers, or whatever your job made you anxious. When you are retired, if you don't feel like doing something, you don't have to - there is no supervisor, or manager or sewing cop. Your new life will fall into place -
Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 AM

I am getting nothing done because I am enjoying sitting here at the computer enjoying all the great pictures of other people's quilts. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:00 AM

I too am in a slump. But I know why. I spent 2 weeks in jan. working on scraps. Got enough cut for 3 quilts, but the one I started on just don't work. It is a Cracker and the interior 3 piece block is fine. But when I put the 1/2 sq. triangles on the 4th one isn't right. After tussling with it for a week, I gave up and cut out a fence rail quilt thought maybe I could do it right. Two weeks later and I have it maybe a quarter done. Just can't get into it, still thinking about the cracker. Sewed for 30 minutes yesterday and could not concentrate. I usually can spend all day sewing. So I guess I am going to have to go back to the cracker.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 AM

I find that when my mind goes nuts.. i get into a good book... i am in the worst ,quilting/crafting , slump of my life, because there is some pretty bad and stressful stuff going on... none of which i have control over... so "hanging out" on QB trolling the blogs for free patterns and tutorials for all sorts of items is a life saver for me.... Soooooooooo,,, try to get your mind set into retirement... they will make it without you whether the "new person is good or not"... and your life is about to open up to wonderful things for you... Just look for them... Bless you and know you are not alone.... hugs Barbara
Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 AM

Same here! I have had a quilt of my sisters on my long arm machine...Only quilted a few rows and can't seem to get going on it again.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:46 AM

You are not the only one. When that happens to me I try to do a real easy small project and that usually brings me around gets me excited about quilting again.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Trust me you are not alone. Last year I decided to not create a quilt top but just do the BOM each month while I finish all the UFO tops I had around the house. Then my boss decided we needed to convert our clients to new systems and get them all done before 2012. Thus ended my weekends. Today, I have not completed one top but I do have three carryalls with quilt blocks from all the BOMs I did last year. I had one king size quilt top all hand based and ready to quilt but I had used a poly bat and it was all flat. I spent the last three evenings taking out the basting so I can put in a cotton bat. I so miss quilting that I am again promising myself, I will get them done this year. Good luck. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:15 AM

Congratulations on your coming retirement. You will LOVE it! I made a list of things I "had" to do after I retired. Two things were on it: Pay Taxes and Die. There was certainly no rush to do either so I have not been in a hurry since! I let things go until the time feels right. Plus, I also let people in a rush and mothers w/small children in front of me whenever I want. Time is mine and I am not its slave!
I didn't sew a stitch for a year and a half after my husband died suddenly. I just did what I could do and sewing just wasn't something I could do. We all need "sit and stare at the wall" time and, you know, we ought to just give that to ourselves and not feel guilty about it.
I spent some of January reorganizing my stash and that really motivated me. Also, handling fabric always comforts and inspires me. If you just can't stand not doing anything, go fondle your fabric!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
Hi All: I'm in a terrible quilting slump. Basically the only quilting getting done is me hanging out on the QB. Was completely burned out making Christmas gifts so I took a little vaca. Now we're into February and still no ambition or patience for a quilting whatsoever. Have worked some on a flannel baby quilt kit. Beautiful fabric but the most horrible pattern I've ever followed. If the baby wasn't coming next month, I could walk away from it forever because it feels like sheer torture working on the stinkin' thing.

I know part of it is I have too much on my mind and can't concentrate. I am retiring the end of March and my mind is going in a million different directions. Started training my replacement yesterday and she's doing very well but I came home so tired I felt like I could have dropped in a heap.

Thought maybe I could be inspired by some new quilting books that I bought on ebay. Both are for small, maybe more manageable projects. Even thought of forcing myself to sew for 30 minutes an evening. Any suggestions or words of wisdom? Anyone else feeling this way? On a lighter note, have been very successful on the fabric moratorium with my total lack of interest.

Thanks for letting me ramble.
Nope you aren't alone...I'm right there with orgnaments" for my daughter's tree; have been knittng preemie hats, chemo hats, and teaching myself to knit socks......

I go into my quilting area every single day and just stand there; just can't get motivated. In my tiny little mind I'm thinking I'll start quilting again once the weather gets warmer and I can spend more time in my un conditioned "sunroom" which is where my quilting stuff is.

I'm retired and thought I had a lot of free time; but I've gotten involved in a new church here in my area and between my Bible study, lunching out with new friends, Sunday School activities, etc., I have not been spending my time very well !

We both need to hang in there; inspiration will return I'm sure !