Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Argument over sewing over pins! >

Argument over sewing over pins!

Argument over sewing over pins!

Old 09-24-2012, 06:24 AM

I'm with you, BellaBoo! froggyintexas
Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
My rule for sewing over pins is sometimes I sew over pins, sometimes I take them out. I never break my rule. LOL
Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 AM

Mrs. Duke in Home Ec during the early 50s (can't find the apostrophe on this dang keyboard) taught us to sew over pins on treadle sewing machines--still I have never done it--one trip to the repairman would be enough to break me of the habit, so I just didn't go there.....
Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 AM

I was told that with the new computerized machines, hitting a pin can throw the timing in your machine off thus incurring an expensive visit to the Sewing Machine Repair guy. I did it once and after $$$ decided it wasn't worth it, easier to remove the pins as I get to them
Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
I NEVER EVER sew over pins, and impress upon my pupils to do the same then I had a visit yesterday from my gentleman volunteer for Project Linus quilts, and we started discussing needle breakages, I had just broken 5 in one evening, don't ask, and he said he rarely breaks needles just on the odd occasion when he sewed over a pin and hit it!

I was horrified, his wife agreed with me, but his reply was, what is the difference in hitting a pin and hitting a foot or the sewing plate, you know when you have the wrong one in!

I didn't have an answer, do you?
My answer is don't worry about what other people do. It makes life ever so much calmer and more pleasant.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 AM

For the safety of your eyesight and for the safety of your machine, just DON'T sew over pins. The damage might irreversible.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:37 AM

Like said above.. sewing over pins is not worth the risk of paying for damage to the machine. When I first started, it was with my moms old Necchi sewing machine...went forward and backward. Period! But never hit a pin! But when I got my Singer 30 some years later...I did hit some, and although it didn't damage the machine, but bent the pin and bent/broke the needle so what I have been doing since...once I get close to the pin, if it is such that I can take the pin out and continue sewing without anything moving, I will..but if it is critical that no movement.. I'll pull the pin out just until the tip comes out of the front, thereby if the needle does hit it..it only hits the tip...and the pin is moveable so the pin moves away enough that the needle tdoesn't hit/break.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:54 PM

Sewing over pins was how my home economics teacher taught me almost 40 years ago...I've really never had a problem sewing over them as long as they were placed straight..if not staight then it will cause breakage...
Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 PM

Way back in the early 70's when I got my first sewing machine, a Kenmore, we were all sewing double knits. I was told we could sew right over the pins and I did with no problem. The knits were just stretchy enough so that the pins just kinda moved out of the way of the needle. I had straight and zig-zag stitiches. These machines were mechanical in nature and a lot tougher than modern machines.

I was told with today's electronic machines and their many decorative stitches it requires precision timing of the machine so definitely do NOT sew over pins. When a needle hits a pin it can through off the timing, which can cost a pretty penny to fix. Not to mention the safety hazards of broken needles flying about. Besides, most of us use woven (cotton) fabrics for quilting, and they do not give the way those old double knits did. Sometimes when I have seam matches pinned together, with all the seam allowances, that's several layers of fabric. Those pins are not going anywhere unless I remove them, so I do.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:59 PM

I agree with you whole heartedly!!! Its too easy to break a needle and the end flies off wherever it wants to. I have not broken a needle in that way for a long long time. I did sew through my finger once when I was trying to use it to guide the fabric. Now I use a stylus
Old 09-24-2012, 02:45 PM

I have a friend that used to sew over pins until she bent the shaft and it costed her plenty to have it replaced. I DO NOT sew over pins, EVER.

Also, it is a saftey hazard as I am always afraid the broken pieces will hit me in the eye or face.

Last edited by maryb44662; 09-24-2012 at 02:49 PM.