Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Binding Problems >

Quilt Binding Problems

Quilt Binding Problems

Old 09-29-2013, 08:10 AM

I love doing bindings, very restful. Having said that, i still have trouble with joining the end to the beginning and not have too much or too little. I get it right less than 50% of the time. How can i forget from one quilt to the next how to do it? Lol. So frustrating!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I usually use two color binding, one color on the front and one on the back. I learned this in a class by Anita Murphy. I don't see many quilts with two color binding now. I have more trouble with the ending joins. It looks different every time.
I have never seen this and I'm having trouble imagining it! Wouldn't there be a seam right on the edge, and wouldn't that make it very weak if it's a quilt that is going to get regular use? I'd love to see a picture, please. Meanwhile, I'll be googling Anita Murphy.

Thanks for this thread, Holice. I think I understand everything about binding, have seen all the usual videos, about all I really need is more ability to concentrate and sew straight. I like Sharon Schamber's method, and have recently begun sewing out to the corner as Jenny Doan does in her video. Her instructions are also extremely clear and simple for figuring out how to sew the ends properly.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:00 AM

Right at this moment, I have 5 quilts that need to have bindings. 3 already have the binding on the front and just need to be hand sewn on the back and 2 need to have a binding applied. My problem is that once I get the quilt top made and then sent to the LA quilter, I lose interest unless it is for some specific purpose. Then, for a long time I could not make up my mind what binding to put on it since I don't usually cut my binding at the same time. So...they sit and sit in my closet or hang on my design wall. Sad but true.
One time, I cut the binding and then when it came time to put it on, I forgot that I had made the quilt bigger and the binding no longer applied. Oh well.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:12 AM

Everything about binding scares me lol. I have bad hand joints so I do not see by hand. I learned that google and binding tutorials are my friend. Along with a lot of dagnabit I'm gonna do it even if it looks like poo. Thankfully a 15mth old doesn't get made over fudgey binding lol.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I have been reading comments and questions about quilt bindings. I also have been looking at tutorials on the subject. I am wondering"

What do you want to achieve in applying the quilt binding?
What are your greatest challenges in making good bindings.
What basic questions do you have regarding bindings.

I am talking about straight bindings and not anything other than the 90 degree mitred mitred and plain binding (no scallops, odd angles, inside folds etc).
Hi Holice,I always wanted to finish my binding with no bumps,just nice and even.Then I found The Dread Pirate Rodgers Double Fold Binding technique.Fantastic !! Just google it and your problems will be over,No glue, just follow the instructions to the letter. Love Letty
Old 09-29-2013, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
I love doing bindings, very restful. Having said that, i still have trouble with joining the end to the beginning and not have too much or too little. I get it right less than 50% of the time. How can i forget from one quilt to the next how to do it? Lol. So frustrating!
There is a very simple solution for this. Whatever the width of your binding is, the ends should overlap by the same amount. For instance, if your binding is 2.5" wide, the ends should overlap each other by 2.5". Match up the raw edges, sew the diagonal seam, trim and press the seam open, and your binding will fit the quilt perfectly. This is how I've done it for years and it works every time.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Those are very good questions, Holice.

I have had several people hire me to put on their bindings, and they seem to fall into one of two camps:

1. Some quilters seem to have a fear of binding for reasons they don't seem to understand and can't explain to me. They are just terrified of binding, they dread it, and it's a relief to have someone like me who they can pay to bind their quilt.

2. They don't feel they have the skills to do good bindings. They don't know how to sew the strips together. They don't know how to do mitered corners. They don't know how to hand sew, or how to tie a knot, or how to hide the ends of the thread. And along with not having the skills is not having the patience.
I'm in the 2nd camp. Don't know how to do a blind stitch, tie the knot or hide the threads. I've taken a class or two but we always seem to run out of time before we get to the end...meaning doing the blind stitch all the way to a corner, making the miter, and sewing up the miter (to close the little gap) and how to knot, hide the threads and restart.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:47 AM

I admit it, mitered corners are the bane of my existence.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I have never seen this and I'm having trouble imagining it! Wouldn't there be a seam right on the edge, and wouldn't that make it very weak if it's a quilt that is going to get regular use? I'd love to see a picture, please. Meanwhile, I'll be googling Anita Murphy.
We're asking about two color binding here. Betty Cotton does this because her quilts are all completely reversible. The directions are in her book: "Cotton Theory Quilting". She doesn't really say how wide to make the front and back sides, but the seam is on the edge of course. She says press it open. Her directions are for 2 1/2 in. bindings, but usual directions ask for 1/4" seam to sew it on. And you need an additional 1/4" on each strip to sew them together. That would make the back strip 1" wide (allowing for the seam to sew it onto the front) and the front would be 2".
Someday I might even try it.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:22 PM

This may of already of been addressed, but I find most folks have trouble with how to join the ends together and how to make a nice sharp corner. One other thing that is how to figure how much binding a person needs