Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Binding Problems >

Quilt Binding Problems

Quilt Binding Problems

Old 09-28-2013, 10:10 PM

I knew I had viewed this video in the last few days, I just had to find it. This has to be the best way I've ever seen - even a child can follow it.

Link:- http://www.mccallsquilting.com/McCal...inding_Joining the ends.

There are four different videos about binding by Sheri Driver from McCalls. I hope this helps those who intimidated by quilt binding
Old 09-28-2013, 11:16 PM

By saying what do you wish to achieve? I would say a neat edge all around my project covering the sandwich edge.
Are you asking if we need it? Yes some edge is required .
Old 09-29-2013, 03:12 AM

I will say the only thing i do differently, is to snip the corners off a smidge - it gives me a bit of ease w/ the binding to get that square corner. That is a technique I learned in sewing construction. I do trim away the bulk - including pressing open the seams when joining pieces of binding - again those were all clothing construction techniques that I moved to my quilting.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:58 AM

This video was perfect. I cut the batting out of the corners yesterday when binding my quilt. What a difference...looks great! Thanks
Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Having had problems with not getting square corners and not "filling" the binding I have learned to cut narrower strips (2 1/4" and not 2 1/2".) Then I saw this video by Patrick Lose and now my corners are super! Its long but really only a short section is the key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?f...n&v=MMsmEtonhoA&NR=1
Old 09-29-2013, 05:00 AM

I've read through all the replies. No one has mentioned using the walking foot. Every time I forget to use my walking foot for binding, I am reminded very quickly with some bad looking stitching. It is so much easier using the walking foot no matter whose method you are using.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:18 AM

I don't iron it in half, after I sew on the binding I then iron it, then flip the binding onto the other side, glue and iron down. Makes the binding perfect for sewing.
Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Different strokes for different folks. I found that when I stopped ironing, the binding snugged up to the top much better and laid flatter. I think that ironing sets a memory into the binding that doesn't allow it to move and shift as you wrap it around to the back, and then you end up with lumps.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

My problems seem to be consistency in width and bulky corners. Yes, I've watched all the tutes, your's Holice, Sharon's, the one mentioned above about trimming out the extra fabric in the corner. I've tried all the tips included (except the trimming the fabric one, which I just learned) I'm still getting the same judge's comments on more than 1 of my quilts. Are the widths on the front and back supposed to be the same? Is the consistency issue they talk about just the width of the front all the way around? I don't know. Who would have thought something so seemingly simple would be so darn difficult?
Old 09-29-2013, 05:22 AM

I'm one of the weird ones that like to do binding. I pretty much use Sheri Driver's technique. I love hand-stitching the binding on the back. I enjoy sitting down with the quilt on my lap that I have spent so much time piecing - especially if it is one I'm giving away. It's kind of like saying goodbye to it. I know - I'm weird!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:53 AM

My problem is the width of the binding being different from back to front. I sew to the back with 1/4", press away from the quilt, and sew to the front with 1/4". When I get that binding to the front it is never the same size as the back which is frustrating. Is this, Holice, where you are saying that the seam allowance should be changed from 1/4" to something else? I have also tried stitching to the front, turning to the back, and then stitching from the front in the ditch. Same thing, never looks good.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Having had problems with not getting square corners and not "filling" the binding I have learned to cut narrower strips (2 1/4" and not 2 1/2".) Then I saw this video by Patrick Lose and now my corners are super! Its long but really only a short section is the key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?f...n&v=MMsmEtonhoA&NR=1
Patrick's corners sure helps to clear up that little problem that becomes a big one for finishing a beautiful quilt.