Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the one quilting tool you had to have but have never used? >

What is the one quilting tool you had to have but have never used?

What is the one quilting tool you had to have but have never used?

Old 12-08-2017, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sheep Farmer View Post
I bought one of those magnetic seam guides.
My machine plate is PLASTIC. [ATTACH=CONFIG]584899[/ATTACH]
So the stupid magnetic seam guide is useless to me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584898[/ATTACH]
Though I was chuckling at many of the comments, yours almost made me lose a mouthful of coffee!

Can you maybe make a magnetic pin cushion out of it?
Old 12-08-2017, 07:26 AM

I do use the shaver/stitch remover sometimes--have to hold one side in my teeth to get enough tension for it to work but it does help at times--like if I pick up two pieces of fabric stuck together or sew on the wrong side of the fabric. Never got into the Pounce--think I'll just pass on that. I don't have the energy to whack it 100 times!! I'd be ready for a nap! I don't like the little Clover Iron I bought recently. It is very lightweight. The cord is heavier than the iron itself--and it doesn't get hot enough.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I bought one of those magnetic seam guides.
My machine plate is PLASTIC. Attachment 584899
So the stupid magnetic seam guide is useless to me.
What machine do you have that has a plastic feed dog throat plate? I have never seen one that wasn't metal.

I use the Simplicity Binding machine for all my binding. I bought the tip that takes a 2 1/2 in wide strip. It folds in in half and presses it for straight binding or bias cut strips for bias binding.
Its discontinued and now all my guild members are looking for one since I brought mine in to make binding for donation quilts.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:15 AM

For those with EQ7 sitting around unused: I had not used mine much (between working full time and the learning curve), but I decided to upgrade to EQ8. Last week I had a chance to sit and play with EQ8 for a few hours. I did the first couple of lessons and played with some of the features the lessons gave me only a glimpse of. I can say I find EQ8 MUCH more intuitive and easier to navigate. I'm looking forward to having more time in 2018 to play with it some more.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:48 AM

I second the uselessness of the Ideal Seam Guide for me. It won't stay in place on any of my machines. I bought it at a quilt show after watching the demo. I was sent a new adhesive strip for it and it still moves out of place when I'm sewing. It's in the bottom of my ruler drawer.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Just one?????
Old 12-08-2017, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
That could be why people don't use it. By the time I finished slamming it on a hard surface 100 times, I'd be ready to just toss it out.
Lol!!! the instructions never said to slam it 100 times so I didn't know. Happy it's gone - very frustrated with it!
Old 12-08-2017, 04:43 PM

The Martelli zip bind system...
boy they gave a slick presentation at a show & I got sucked in. Attempted to use it shortly after the purchase. No go. Attempted again recently - bigger no go!
Old 12-08-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mitty View Post
Does it count if I bought it by mistake? I bought a ruler that I thought was just a regular grid but when I got it home I realized it was something else. I'm not sure what it's for, but for some reason I didn't get to returning it, and now it sits at the bottom of my ruler pile.
Mitty, why not take a photo of it, post it on here under a " new thread", and ask ? Someone on this board is bound to know 😊
Old 12-11-2017, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by stitch678 View Post
Mitty, why not take a photo of it, post it on here under a " new thread", and ask ? Someone on this board is bound to know 😊
Well, sure, that would be the smart thing to do! I guess I figured that whatever it's for I must not need since I've lived without it so far. LOL

FREE Quilting Newsletter