Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Arthritis pain >

Arthritis pain

Arthritis pain

Old 04-05-2011, 10:27 AM

I just visited my doctor for a hamstring pull that was severe. He knows I am an herbalist and won't take prescription drugs and he suggested a site called www.ihealth.com and order DMSO. He said it is used for the injuries in horses who need to be up and running and there are no side effects at all for humans. I got some and it is WONDERFUL!!! Be sure to get the rose-scented one as I was told the plain has a terrible smell. The rose-scented one is very pleasant, just like rose water.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by nett2
Originally Posted by IBQLTN
Originally Posted by iluvmycats
I have advanced Rheumatiod Arthritis that started when I was about 23, but not properly diagnosed until I was 50. Didn't get on the proper treatment till 2004, but my fingers are all whithered and very inflamed. If you think you have arthritis, please talk to your doctor about it. there are easy tests they can do so you can find out.Don't wait so long like I did. I bought the comfort gloves and they help. Just please get the proper help, so you slow down the process. Blessing to you, Nancy
Nancy,
This knot just popped up a few weeks ago where my thumb attaches to my wrist and it burns like fire. I have an appointment with my doctor later this month. I'll mention it to her. I'm so sorry about your RA. I'm sure my pain is nothing compared to yours. God bless you.
The knot you are speaking of sounds like what I had. It is actually a joint/bone at the base of the thumb. I went a long time with out successful treatment because the only other option was surgery.

Finally it hurt so bad if I even bumped it pain would shoot up my arm and down to the tip of my thumb. I went for the surgery. They removed the bone and grafted a tendon from my arm to 'fill the space' where the bone was. It hurt like nothng I've ever felt while it was healing but I am 3 years post surgery with NO PAIN whatsoever in that part of the hand.

Unfortunately, I've had 3 other surgeries in hand, wrist and middle finger. The surgeon keeps saying there's a lot more they can do but for now, with prescribed anti-inflammatory medication, it is tolerable. If it becomes that severe, find a good orthopaedist and make sure the therapy is Occupational Therapy, not physical therapy.

Peggy
What did they call this knot and what is the difference between occupational therapy and physical therapy?

I was afraid you would ask me that and I'll have to do a little research because I can't remember.

Occupational therapists require a lot more education than a physical therapist and tend to specialize in one specific area of the body. I know two of my therapists were working on their doctorate degrees.

I'll get back to you on what it's called.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 AM

This is what was done to my hand:

First joint of thumb - Joint fusion (arthrodesis). In arthrodesis, your surgeon permanently fuses the bones in the affected joint to increase stability and reduce pain. The fused joint can then bear weight without pain, but has no flexibility. Very difficult to hold a small needle as the thumb does not bend but it's worth it not to cry when I bump it. (taken from Mayo Clinic website)

This is what he did to the base of my thumb:
Joint replacement (arthroplasty). In this procedure, your surgeon removes part or all of the affected joint and replaces it with a graft from one of your tendons. New plastic or metal devices called prostheses also are being developed to replace the joint. Currently, however, doctors prefer soft tissue (tendon) arthroplasty. (taken from Mayo Clinic website)

Here is some general information:

http://www.assh.org/Public/HandCondi...Baseofthe.aspx

hope this helps.

Peggy
Old 04-05-2011, 12:22 PM

A short explanation of the difference between OT and PT...

Difference between Occupational and Physical Therapist...

Occupational therapy primarily focuses on evaluating and improving a persons functional abilities. An occupational therapist does not directly treat a person's injury but helps a person optimize their independence and ability to accomplish their daily activities following an injury or in situations of physical impairment. Occupational therapy has to do with improving life skills and often involves adaptive tools at times customized by the therapist. An occupational therapist will also often do on-site assessments of both the home environment and work environment and give recommendations on suitable adaptations of each to allow for a better quality of life.

Physical therapy is focused more on treating a persons injury itself and on helping to prevent injuries. The physical therapist will diagnose and treat the physical source of the problem; the injured tissues and structures. A physical therapist is trained extensively on anatomy and themusculoskeletal system resulting in a physical therapist usually being more knowledgeable about musculoskeletal injuries and rehabilitation than a medical doctor.

Although the two health care professions have distinct differences in their focus there can often be some crossover between OT and PT. For example, an occupational therapist is often involved in educating people on how to prevent and avoid injuries, as well as educating people about the healing process. Physical therapists in turn often help people improve their ability to do their daily activities through education and training. While there is this crossover between professions both play very important roles and are more specialized in their areas of expertise. In many situations,health-care professionals from both fields should be involved in injury recovery.

http://www.automailer.com/tws/occupa...calTherapy.php
Old 04-05-2011, 12:44 PM

What do you do for arthritis pain in the hands? I don't want to take prescription pills for it if I don't have to. It's just recently started and I haven't talked to my doctor about it yet.
I put my hands together finger tip to finger tip and do "finger push ups!". When I'm at Mass, I always do this before the sign of peace so my hands don't make me wince.

It's not a permenant solution but it sure loosens up my fingers for a few minutes.

OH!

Also, sometimes I will pull each finger back as far as I can and hold it for a minute or so----------and grit my teeth when I get to the middle finger and ring finger on my right hand.

finger push ups = imagine a spider doing push ups on a mirror.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:46 PM

I use the Heat Aspercreme..........Also Voltaren Gel.......By prescription only and EXPENSIVE. I use this after a full day of hand quilting or using the rotary cutter for long periods of time... Doctor does not recommend using heat after applying the med......I apply all of my hand , not only the joints that are painful........I have used the biofreeze too.
Hope this helps
Old 04-05-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nolee
I just visited my doctor for a hamstring pull that was severe. He knows I am an herbalist and won't take prescription drugs and he suggested a site called www.ihealth.com and order DMSO. He said it is used for the injuries in horses who need to be up and running and there are no side effects at all for humans. I got some and it is WONDERFUL!!! Be sure to get the rose-scented one as I was told the plain has a terrible smell. The rose-scented one is very pleasant, just like rose water.
I tried going to that site and it won't open. I'll try doing a search for the DMSO. It's www.ihealthtree.com.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:07 PM

I have radiating pain right now in my right hand and wrist. It's probably a combo of Fibro and arthritis. I use Biofreeze also AND I use the fingerless gloves and also the gloves with the velcro wrap around the wrist. If it's really bad, I use the velcro wrap ones because they stabilize my wrists.

Yup, getting old is definitely not for sissies!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM

I knew I could count on the good people here for suggestions and ya'll didn't let me down. Now I just have to try some things and see what helps. I thank all of you so much and I'll let you know what helps the most.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:14 PM

I use the pain relief from WalMarts, you rub it on your hands and anywhere you hurt. It really works