Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Arthritis pain >
  • Arthritis pain

• Arthritis pain

Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 AM

My arthritis started after I had 3 kids when I was in my late 20's. The doctor I went to see was cranky and not very nice. He told me I was to young to have it and he bent my joints around and put me in a lot of pain. I hurt so bad after he did it and could hardly walk out of the clinic. I went to another doctor who was much nicer and he told me I had osteoarthritis and he told me to sue that other doctor for what he did. I did sue and won and got a settlement. I found that if I eat right and take liquid vitamens I don't hurt as bad. I do walking and biking to keep the joints moving and it really helps.
    Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 AM

Some years ago I had a ganglion cyst removed from my wrist. It has worked like new ever since.
    Old 04-05-2011, 06:06 AM

I have a little cloth ball filled with rice (I think) that I try to exercise my hand with several times a day. Aspercreme is good and not smelly. Talk to the doc, sometimes they can recomend non pill solutions. I you go the pill route, Tylenol for Arthritis (or the generic equivalent) works for me. Good luck and don't forget to wash behind your ears.
    Old 04-05-2011, 06:09 AM

I had that done on my toe and it worked - didn't hurt as much as the surgery would as my doctor told me. Maybe it will work for you too.

Originally Posted by emerald46
    Nett2, I wonder if that knot is a ganglion cyst. I get it after alot of hand finishing on a quilt. Very painful. Using the fingerless support gloves really helps. Takes a few days to go down. First got it years ago while taking harp lessons. Doc said yrs ago they use hold the hand down and slap it hard with the big family Bible to pop it internally..(I don't think so!)
    Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 AM

I've finally figured out the best way to deal with it......a pair of oven mitts warmed in the microwave in the morning to work my fingers (be sure to remove any metal hanging rings), Biofreeze and the green fingerless gloves for handwork. One note about those gloves.....the padding was annoying to me so I cut it out and stitched the glove tighter to make up the difference. The pressure seems to work without the padded area.
    Old 04-05-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by iluvmycats
    I have advanced Rheumatiod Arthritis that started when I was about 23, but not properly diagnosed until I was 50. Didn't get on the proper treatment till 2004, but my fingers are all whithered and very inflamed. If you think you have arthritis, please talk to your doctor about it. there are easy tests they can do so you can find out.Don't wait so long like I did. I bought the comfort gloves and they help. Just please get the proper help, so you slow down the process. Blessing to you, Nancy
    I totally agree with Nancy as I also have RA. Please seek help before you are unable to use your hands.
    Old 04-05-2011, 06:28 AM

Read in our local paper today that there is a liniment that they use on racehorses legs to treat inflamation, it is called Arth Arrest. I think I will give it a try. They sell only one drug store here, but they do have a phone # to call. If you would like the # PM me........Michele
    It is for arthritis,bursitis,RA, tendonitis.
    Old 04-05-2011, 06:36 AM

I have RA and this is what I do at night instead of crying with pain in my hands, I take some Tylenol Arthritus and wrap my hand or hands in a electric hot pad and before I know it I am asleep and in the morning my hands feel sooooo much better.
    Old 04-05-2011, 06:40 AM

Hi all, I have osteo I think because my older sister has this type of arthritis and has had neck surgery already years ago because of it. ( husband wants me to go to rheumetoid dr to be sure) During flare ups I could just scream, I cannot take anti inflamatorys and use bio freeze etc but found that a bed pillow helps keep heat in of all things !! Use over my knees. Also, may be able to do a clinical trial that uses morphine patch in mouth cheek !!! I may get to exercise yet and get some weight off and that should help as well !!! Hips, can't walk a block without nasty pain. knee will give out without notice ! Fingers ! ankles ! feet ! ( may be gout on top of foot anyway.) so......gettin old ain't for sissies ! ( my older sister calls me sissie and sent me a shirt with this saying ) so......keep on keeping on !! gentle hugs
    Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by emerald46
    Nett2, I wonder if that knot is a ganglion cyst. I get it after alot of hand finishing on a quilt. Very painful. Using the fingerless support gloves really helps. Takes a few days to go down. First got it years ago while taking harp lessons. Doc said yrs ago they use hold the hand down and slap it hard with the big family Bible to pop it internally..(I don't think so!)
    Yes its true!! They're called Bible-back cysts for that very reason. I had one in my wrist once. I was in the shower and saw what I thought was a spider on my arm. I reflexively did the "spider dance" where you flail all over the place, and accidentally wapped my wrist on the shower wall. Got a cyst that lasted weeks till my Chiropractor took care of it for me.
    By the way, the "spider" was a tiny clump of hair my DH had left on the shower brush!