Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you stitch around quilt before trimming and binding >

Do you stitch around quilt before trimming and binding

Do you stitch around quilt before trimming and binding

Old 04-10-2011, 06:38 AM

I usually just add the binding but after reading all these posts might try stitching around the edges first and see if it makes a difference.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:40 AM

wow never thought of this- comes under why didn't someone tell me about this before- I will do this from now on- it makes so much sence- and I seem to always have problems with little tucks when I put on my binding- thanks so much for all of your input
Old 04-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
I mark the cutting edge with a permanent Sharpie first, then sew around the edge close to the marked line, either a little inside or a little outside the marked line. I do *not* trim before attaching binding; I attach binding for the first side using the marked line to line up the raw edge of the binding. Only after attaching the binding do I finally trim the edges, being *very* careful not to nick any of the binding fabric (especially at the corners).

Waiting to trim allows me to adjust the width of the sandwich in the binding to make sure it will will the binding the way I like it. Also, then I don't have to deal with cut edges of the quilt sandwich rippling or getting ragged from handling.

I noticed that when I cut first and then stitched around the edge, I was still likely to get some sliding, distortion and tucks because the sewing line is *so* close to the edge. The way I do it, just marking the cutting line without cutting, makes the edge much more stable while I work with it.

Good suggestion ... my Amish handquilter told me to add the binding first, as it's easier to work with. Tough I have always liked to trim first to square things up and felt uncomfortable when I did it her way.

Your Sharpie idea is Sharp! ... best of both worlds ... and one I'll be using!!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lauriequilts
I have a customer that serges the quilt top and the backing before bringing it. They are the easiest quilts to quilt and no fraying. It sounds like a lot of work to me, but I just might buy a serger and do mine that way.

I don't have a serger though I have a stitch on my machine that is serger-like, and that's what I use before I send it off to the LAQ or HQ
Old 04-10-2011, 07:42 AM

Yes, I baste mine before trimming. Don't forget ladies, your binding needs to be "full" so leave enough seam allowance to fill it when you trim.
Good luck, Kutnso
Old 04-10-2011, 09:11 AM

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Kinda depends on the loft of the batting for one thing.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:20 AM

i do has well.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:23 AM

I trim the backing and batting, then sew a zig zag around the whole quilt edge before I bind it.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry
I was just wondering if we are supposed to sew close to the edge of the quilt before trimming it and applying the binding. I have noticed several videos on you tube about applying binding but no one ever mentions if you are supposed to sew down the edge of the quilt
I never thought of doing this.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:38 AM

Yes, I do. In fact, I have started using my serger for this process. Makes it nice and neat.... easier for binding.