Quilt Retreat on Lake Huron

Old 07-08-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
Originally Posted by burnsk
What happens if we have a snow storm? If for any reason the retreat would have to be cancelled because of an "act of God", are there fees? Remember - this is MIchigan. Anything can happen.

Is the quilt shop in Marlette in an old Fire Station?
Yes, they are in an old firestation. As far as the weather issue, I will check with camp to see what policy is, thanksfor reminding me. I am so afraid I will mess up somehow, so amm takingALL suggestions. Of course, the weather dont usually phase me, of course you never know. I will be sure to have a plan for that. I get more excitted by the day.
That is a great store. There is so much history there. We did a QB MI shop-hop and that was one of the stores we visited. The ladies there were great. They had coffee and 3 yummy deserts for us and they gave us 20% off our purchases. The owner did a demo for us. We had a wonderful time there. It was a wonderful store to visit. It's so great that they want to preserve the integrity of the fire-house building. They were very welcoming and there was no pressure to buy anything.

Take one day at a time. You have lots of time to take all the questions, suggestions and recommendations into consideration. By the time you're done you'll be ready to do it as a professional retreat coordinator :thumbup:

Thanks for doing this.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:36 AM

Maybe some of us from the mid state and southern mid state regions could car pool? Just asking
Old 07-09-2011, 04:12 PM

Ms. Jean, I was just reading all comments and I see
you are in Lapeer. My daughter lives in Lapeer also.
She has Holly's Bark & Bubbles pet grooming. Do you
know her?

Lana
the Quilting Dreamer
Lansing, MI
Old 07-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Dreamer
Ms. Jean, I was just reading all comments and I see
you are in Lapeer. My daughter lives in Lapeer also.
She has Holly's Bark & Bubbles pet grooming. Do you
know her?

Lana
the Quilting Dreamer
Lansing, MI
No, I have no pets and do not know her without a last name. I hope you come to the retreat and we can discuss this. I worked at the library, and know a lot of people in this town as well as living here for 40 years. She may have gone to West with my kids, ages 38-49.

Jean
Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by alices
Maybe some of us from the mid state and southern mid state regions could car pool? Just asking
alices, I'm in Brooklyn. Will have to see if it fits into my schedule, but would love to go. I've never been to a retreat.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:30 AM

Just an update, I have been working on the entire event and it is going to be AWESOME!! I hope to have all the information out by the end of July. Am working on a payment menthod. How many would be interested in paying through paypal? Or are you comfortable sending a check. I can do debit, just have to work out how, I have a partystore in Snover and we have debit/credit there that I could run it through if someone wanted. Anyway, I have been talkimg, researching, and planning. Have gotten tons of help from those on the board, as well as friends locally. Will keep everyone posted!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by gmaybee
Originally Posted by alices
alices, I'm in Brooklyn. Will have to see if it fits into my schedule, but would love to go. I've never been to a retreat.
I'm in Horton! Your just down the road!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:38 PM

There is also a quilt retreat in Boyne valley lodge. it is 125.00 for Thursday night through Sunday Breakfast. Meals Fri / sat / and sun. heated pool, discounts in Gaylord quilt shop. We went in april and had a ball. It is the first weekend in November I believe.Central wood burning fire place. They usually put 3 per room. but they will sleep 6. If you would like more info let me know. [email protected] or google boyne valley lodge.
I am from Livonia and I think it took 4.5 hours but we stopped at every quilt shop.hehehe
Kathleen
There were gals quilting , painting , knittting, reading, swimming, making dresses for Africa etc.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 AM

Buslady---- This will be my first quilt retreat. I am very excited about it. I mailed my registration on Sat.

Do people bring all their WIP already cut out? Should we bring Irons? Or can we set up pressing stations? Man - o Man - I have a million questions and am very much looking forward to the weekend and meeting people that enjoy my hobby as much as I do.

I went to the Flint Institute of Arts this past weekend to see the Amish Quilts on display. Very beautiful, very inspiring.. I recommend it to anyone who loves seeing beautiful old quilts.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:35 AM

My suggestion is for you as the organizer. My friend in VA first made sure everyone was happy and then told the group that the next 2-3 days she was on retreat too. Another suggestion is to have the electrical power usage checked. There will be a ton of extension cords plugged into irons, sewing machines, lights. Suggestion #3 is to have an emergency contact for everyone. Last suggestion is to have 3 ironing stations and a couple of cutting stations to help limit what everyone would want to bring. Hope you all have a wonderful time!