Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crumb quilts - I am in love!! >

Crumb quilts - I am in love!!

Crumb quilts - I am in love!!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:37 AM

I am working on my first crumb quilt. The blocks are 6 1/2" square. They are really fun to work on. Lots of planning and consideration goes into these little guys! The original plan was to use up those little triangles that I trimmed off of blocks. So I chain sewed hundreds of those to make 1 to 1 1/2" squares. Then I started adding bigger pieces.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-249587.jpe   attachment-249588.jpe   attachment-249589.jpe  
Old 08-31-2011, 09:42 AM

OMG!!! how long did it take you.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 AM

This looks really fun! I always have scraps and blocks,
this is on my TO DO list now.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver
I just tried crumb quilting for the first time, I am addicted!!! It is like putting together a creative jigsaw puzzle made of fabric. I have 2 UFO's that have to be done soon, but I am a crumb quilt junkie right now. Is anyone else bitten by the crumb bug? I have been saying pieces of all the projects I have been doing for the past 20 years, extra blocks, sample blocks, strips, etc. I feel so creative doing this. Any body interested in doing a crumb block monthly exchange? I am doing 6" finished blocks. I feel so "green" too right now, keeping the scraps out of the landfill (like I could throw away fabric, duh).
After looking at all the other posts, I decided to put this on my to-do-list. Thanks everyone for the encouragement.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy1
I am having fun doing something similar. Check out Rainbows in a bottle. The little pieces are separated by color and attached to muslin and framed in the dominant color. It is like working on a mosaic or puzzle. Lots of fun. I also used my scraps for a spider quilt with the scraps being the background for the webs. That is fun too. I love scappys, you never know what the end result will be.
That sounds interesting too, but when I googled "rainbows in a bottle" I came up with science experiments etc., could you elaborate a little more?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:55 AM

Moose girl, I love the circlular ones...the black is very dramatic!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:03 AM

They all look so good, and the scraps all go so nicely together, what do you do if most of the quilts you've (OK I've done) have been in very divergent colors schemes, how do you get them to play nice together and yes, I am one of those that agonize over picking the right colors. It's not something that comes easily for me and thinking about just grabbing a crumb and sewing randomly together is almost causing heart palpitations LOL! It's not that I am so uptight about matchy matchy, but I don't want to get done and think...that looks like something the dog threw up...if you know what I mean.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 AM

tried to do a little square and mine was awful. When I get done wit some of the things I have going now I'm going to have to give it another try. There are some really cute ones and to think you can have a quilt without spending any $$$ or buying more fabric and get rid of some of the scraps we are all plagued with.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 AM

love the bib, just had an addition the family and crumbs look so good i have to try one. thanks for the idea
Old 08-31-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kappy
Originally Posted by Murphy1
I am having fun doing something similar. Check out Rainbows in a bottle. The little pieces are separated by color and attached to muslin and framed in the dominant color. It is like working on a mosaic or puzzle. Lots of fun. I also used my scraps for a spider quilt with the scraps being the background for the webs. That is fun too. I love scappys, you never know what the end result will be.
That sounds interesting too, but when I googled "rainbows in a bottle" I came up with science experiments etc., could you elaborate a little more?
Here is the link:

http://bumbleknit.blogspot.com/2011/...-to-quilt.html