Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Crumb quilts - I am in love!!

Love the idea of the crumb quilt and the bottled rainbows, not a saver of small scraps but I think it's time to start saving.

Blog Entries
    What or where is "Rainbows in a bottle" I goggled it and didn't find anything quilt related
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy1
    I am having fun doing something similar. Check out Rainbows in a bottle. The little pieces are separated by color and attached to muslin and framed in the dominant color. It is like working on a mosaic or puzzle. Lots of fun. I also used my scraps for a spider quilt with the scraps being the background for the webs. That is fun too. I love scappys, you never know what the end result will be.

Blog Entries
    Ooops I usually read all the post before I do. Sorry checking the links posted now!!!

try
    http://www.stitchedincolor.com

go down on the right side to Bottled Rainbows

Quote Originally Posted by Kappy
    They all look so good, and the scraps all go so nicely together, what do you do if most of the quilts you've (OK I've done) have been in very divergent colors schemes, how do you get them to play nice together and yes, I am one of those that agonize over picking the right colors. It's not something that comes easily for me and thinking about just grabbing a crumb and sewing randomly together is almost causing heart palpitations LOL! It's not that I am so uptight about matchy matchy, but I don't want to get done and think...that looks like something the dog threw up...if you know what I mean.
    I started some 3 1/2" blocks on foundation. each project
    I do, I also do 4 little crumb blocks to join into a square.
    so the colors kind of go together. they are a great end-of-
    the-night, not time to do anything else, kind of project.
    I'm gong to set mine with black sashing.

I would like to add my 2 cts worth on crumb quilting.
    Forget about matchy-matchy color schemes.
    Forget about foundations of paper to be torn off later. Forget about muslin foundations that add weight.
    Just grab, from your big bucket of assorted crumbs, 2 pcs having about the same length on a side. Sew edges together. Press, trim with rotary and ruler so you have straight edges on several sides. Attach another crumb of same length or longer; Whack off to fit later! Keep pressing and trimming after each seam---that is the secret to NO FOUNDATIONS.

I make mine 6 1/2" sq; larger than that means longer strips , and you lose the tiny-pc look that gives the crumb block its personality (and purpose).

I do at least 6 combinations in the 1st step, then press and trim. Go back to the machine and bucket of crumbs and add another crumb on any side to each; press and trim. In no time you will have 6 crumbs sqs finished and you will be HOOKED! Sometimes instead of using strings, I piece several small sqs or rectangles together to make a stripband to reach across either straight or diagonally; adds a lot of interest. Remember it is the TINY specks of color that sparkles!

Use the completed, trimmed to 6 1/2" sqs as star centers, or 4-to-a-lg-sq, or as a strippy quilt with 'wallpaper stripe' between. I have done a dozen Quilts of Valor with crumb blocks in all combinations.

Adding a spot of white in each block really sparkles, too. Diagonal seams add interest, keeps the eye moving.

Orphan blocks, wrong-sized, reject blocks, extra HSTs all end up in my crumb blocks, not just tiny cut-off corners. I easily whack up lg blocks into smaller pcs. Check out rwquilt's pics--lots of left over tree blocks used.

It does make a mess, but I am having so much FUN,FUN, FUN. Can you tell I am enthused about the tecnique? And think of all the money saved at $8-$10 a yd for new fabric. I must be making money, by now, don't you think? I dare you to try it!

. :lol: :lol:

Well, I WAS going to ask what exactly is a crumb quilt. But with all the pics, no need. I'll have to try one because I have lots of crumbs.

when you sew the crumbs, do you sew to a foundation like paper or a square of muslin?

I too love making Crumb Blocks and Crazy Blocks. I even collect scraps from other quilters!!!!

My first quilt project was a crumb quilt - I did a gazillion squares for a queen size bedspread - unfortunately I still have to sash it and quilt it, but it was fun!

Well, all the talk about crumb quilts lately has inspired me! I made three blocks tonight! Will post pictures tomorrow. In each of them, I'm using a picture cut from a piece of fabric for the piece I start off with, then build from there. So far, I've got a moose, a daffodil, and a butterfly. Thinking this is heading towards being a Christmas present for my sister's soon to arrive baby. Fun! :)

Blog Entries
    Sorry it is Bottled Rainbows and the tutorial for it is http://www.stitchedincolor.com/2011/...ape-quilt.html
    There are several blogs that have posted pictures of rainbow blocks if you google images for bottled rainbows too.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandmK
    What or where is "Rainbows in a bottle" I goggled it and didn't find anything quilt related
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy1
    I am having fun doing something similar. Check out Rainbows in a bottle. The little pieces are separated by color and attached to muslin and framed in the dominant color. It is like working on a mosaic or puzzle. Lots of fun. I also used my scraps for a spider quilt with the scraps being the background for the webs. That is fun too. I love scappys, you never know what the end result will be.

Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver
    I just tried crumb quilting for the first time, I am addicted!!! It is like putting together a creative jigsaw puzzle made of fabric. I have 2 UFO's that have to be done soon, but I am a crumb quilt junkie right now. Is anyone else bitten by the crumb bug? I have been saying pieces of all the projects I have been doing for the past 20 years, extra blocks, sample blocks, strips, etc. I feel so creative doing this. Any body interested in doing a crumb block monthly exchange? I am doing 6" finished blocks. I feel so "green" too right now, keeping the scraps out of the landfill (like I could throw away fabric, duh).
    I have been making these kinds of blocks since the "Mile a Minute" article came out in a magazine about ten years ago - have many of them done, trimmed to size, and when I want to make a quick quilt, just have to put them together with sashing or alternate blocks, or think up new ways to set them together. Have several versions in my Nursing Home Quilts on my QCA Blog, but I don't know how to set that up to show here. But an exchange would be fun, and I love this topic - these scraps and blocks have become my trademark over the years, and I still love it! Carolml

Blog Entries
    I like your idea of starting with an image and building from there. can't wait to see what you post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
    Well, all the talk about crumb quilts lately has inspired me! I made three blocks tonight! Will post pictures tomorrow. In each of them, I'm using a picture cut from a piece of fabric for the piece I start off with, then build from there. So far, I've got a moose, a daffodil, and a butterfly. Thinking this is heading towards being a Christmas present for my sister's soon to arrive baby. Fun! :)

I have been out of circulation, crumb quilts? We called them crazy quilts... I'm a little old lady I guess! Lovely work, call it what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by WMUTeach
    I would do a crumb block of the month exchange! I bet you could get 12 members to participate without a problem.
    me too!

Quote Originally Posted by smitty

I started some 3 1/2" blocks on foundation. each project
    I do, I also do 4 little crumb blocks to join into a square.
    so the colors kind of go together. they are a great end-of-
    the-night, not time to do anything else, kind of project.
    I'm gong to set mine with black sashing.
    This is what I intend to do with my 4.5in blocks. I've not paid any attention to colour or values - have just been completely random. I do like the ones some of you have done that pull things together a bit more coherently though - may give that a try next time. The beauty of these blocks is that they're so quick to make - and not costing anything - that you can try all sorts of things!

This is my latest and goes to the oncology department at our local hospital. I make about 4 crumb blocks, with sashing, each week and soon I have a whole quilt finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images

These are the three blocks I made last night. They were fun. But I didn't think they were quick like everyone else keeps saying they are... I need to get more of an assembly line going, I think.

These will finish at 5". I'm making them with an image on the fabric that I start off with, then build off of that. I was thinking I'd make 20, sash them, and make them into a baby quilt, then it will have a little "I Spy" thing going.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    These are the three blocks I made last night. They were fun. But I didn't think they were quick like everyone else keeps saying they are... I need to get more of an assembly line going, I think.
    Mine aren't quick. :oops: I think too much. :idea: Maybe someday I won't be so fussy. ;)

Blog Entries
    I THINK I GET IT !! You just put the scraps together and make it big enough to make it so you can cut it the size block you need. I am going to try it. Looks like sometimes you have a whole block as a scrap and just add more to it. No design, I love it.

There are great instructions on here in the tutorial section.

All of the blocks/quilts posted are beautiful. I have never made one but after reading this post, hope to do so soon.

Kristin in ME, love your blocks and the idea of starting with a butterfly, moose, etc. Would it be OK to start with a small embroidered design and finish with crumbs?

These will finish at 5". I'm making them with an image on the fabric that I start off with, then build off of that. I was thinking I'd make 20, sash them, and make them into a baby quilt, then it will have a little "I Spy" thing going.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing, I liked your idea of an I spy crumb quilt. I think I will do a few of these each day too and then a fun quilt will be there when I need one. I love the idea that are shared on this board.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast