Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Why Why? >

Why Why Why?

Why Why Why?

Old 10-29-2011, 05:14 AM
Banned

oooohh...I just HATE this....don't understand it at all..what a waste of TIME and $$.....
Old 10-29-2011, 05:18 AM

They probably are using pieces cut from the fabric for applique.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:32 AM

How on earth did you get into my sewing room?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Back in the olden days (so I've been told) fabric was cut using scissors and templates. I imagine this would be the result. (Also with applique pieces being cut out.)
I like this-"Back in the olden days," My mother taught me how to sew (more or less) along with 6 years of Home Ec in school...
My 8th grade Home Ec teacher in school finally gave up when I kept telling her I could not cut my pattern out according to the cutting directions in the pattern. She "suggested" that I take my material and pattern home and let my mother help me cut it out.
A direct quote from my mother, "They just show you how to waste fabric on those patterns!" And, we did have quite a bit of material left over from the velveteen that I was making a pantsuit out of, even if it did look like your picture. However, I do not remember making anything else out of the leftover fabric.
That being said, I sometimes cut a strip, but often only cut the "square" for what I need at that time, and much of my fabric looks exactly like your photo since I can square off the ends later.

Happy Quilting.
Susan
Old 10-29-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by scraphq
Not only do I leave those odd cuts on the main piece, I also fold any small scraps of the same fabric inside. I have no small scrap heap.
I do exactly the same thing. When you cut out a clothes pattern you end up with lots of weirdly shaped scraps.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lavada
i leave mine too if it bothers you give it to someone else to use lots of us live on a strick budget
Yep, it does bother me, that is why I clean it up. I do use the scraps for other things, so I am not wasting fabric. It cost too much.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Back in the olden days (so I've been told) fabric was cut using scissors and templates. I imagine this would be the result. (Also with applique pieces being cut out.)
Back in the olden days! HaHa This is me!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:38 AM

Mine sometimes look like that. I do not necessarily trim it off clean across. As some have said, later you might regret it if you need a long piece (this is esp. true for garment sewing).
Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
Why do people cut their fabric like this? Obviously, they cut something out and left it that way. I cut mine clean across and then throw the scraps in the scrap bin. Nice clean scraps.....Otherwise it bugs me! Grrrr... Is this weird?
I sew garments etc and that is what my scraps look like. Sometimes I take the time to "square" up but very seldom. I haven't taken up actually piecing quilts yet.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:46 AM

The projects I work on determine what my remaining fabric looks like. More often then not, I do what you do, but not always. Thus, I have a few wonky cut pieces of fabric in my stash; I only trim off & throw away pieces that I know are too small to use for anything that I might make. (And I save for applique work, too, so what I trim off & toss is REALLY tiny.)