Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Why Why? >

Why Why Why?

Why Why Why?

Old 10-29-2011, 04:16 AM

um i do that too, lol. usually in a hurry to clean up before someone comes home and sees the mess!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:21 AM

don't come to my house or ever ask me for fabric because that's how my fabric looks.

i work with all shapes including curves and odd shapes and i do a lot of fussy cuts to achieve a very specific look.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:22 AM

Ditto!

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Because I never know what shape I will need next and tehn I might regret trimming it off. Does that make sense? OK the pieces I am looking at do look really odd. I would have cut off those peaks.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:26 AM

They look like they're old calicos and probably used for clothing? And they wanted to save every little scrap.

But I too don't straighten up my edges when I'm cutting as that may be just the amount I need to finish a project...it's happened before!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by lynnsim
Whenever I cut appliques out, I leave my fabric like that. I never know what I'll cut out next, lol.
Sometimes I need just a little piece to add to applique. My fabric looks much worse.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:56 AM

I just like my pieces trimmed. It's all matter of personal preference. Those end pieces go into the scrap bin and eventually sent to someone who loves scraps. I personally get overwhelmed with scraps so I'm always willing to let someone else have them.

May The Lord Bless and Keep You Safe
Old 10-29-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by fayzer
I have cut fabric straight across and regretted it later. It depends on what you finally use the scraps for.
Ditto. If you have to fit a weird-shaped piece later on you just may need that extra inch. The only time I cut that piece up is when I'm going to use it next, or have decided the whole thing can be cut into the scrap bins.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Back in the olden days (so I've been told) fabric was cut using scissors and templates. I imagine this would be the result. (Also with applique pieces being cut out.)
OMGOSH.... I'm from the OLD days...(sobs) Days before microwaves and satellite tv and Internet AND rotary cutters (sobs)....

Ok...haha... On a serious note :-) I acquired my DMIL's 50 yr old stash. I washed and folded it all and every time(which was often) I came upon a piece with a CHUNK out of the CENTER or by the fold.... I really wanted to slap someone. And I promise, I'm a really nice person :-D
Old 10-29-2011, 05:10 AM

i leave mine too if it bothers you give it to someone else to use lots of us live on a strick budget
Old 10-29-2011, 05:13 AM

That's how I do it...when I applique...Never know what you'll need for that tiny piece off the edge