Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Why Why? >

Why Why Why?

Why Why Why?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:03 PM

I find that if I cut the shapes I want out and leave the rest, I have that extra fabric something else later down the road, when I have cut straight and cut something out of that chunk, it wastes a lot of fabric and these days with the prices of fabric I try to get the most I can out of every piece :) Just me, yeppers I am a penny pincher!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:29 PM

if my scraps are less than 1/4 yd, then i cut them into 2.5" strips, whatever the length on each pc.... if more than 1/4 yd, they are folded and go back into the stash in it's color group. if any scrap has odd tails or small leftover scraps, i trim them and either put in my 'confetti' quilt jars or chuck them, pretty much depending on my mood. my 2.5" strips are stored in color coded pizza boxes so that i can pick up any 2 or three boxes at any time and play or work on them for donor blocks...
Old 10-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Power Poster

Looks like someone made the cuts for some kind of clothing or for appliques.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
Why do people cut their fabric like this? Obviously, they cut something out and left it that way. I cut mine clean across and then throw the scraps in the scrap bin. Nice clean scraps.....Otherwise it bugs me! Grrrr... Is this weird?
Just promise me you'll never look thru my fabrics.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
I find that if I cut the shapes I want out and leave the rest, I have that extra fabric something else later down the road, when I have cut straight and cut something out of that chunk, it wastes a lot of fabric and these days with the prices of fabric I try to get the most I can out of every piece :) Just me, yeppers I am a penny pincher!
Who knows, you and I might want only one little triangle that could easily be taken from one the curved sections.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang
That fabric looks like it's been used for clothing.
I have trouble with that type of leavings, because it's hard to tell where the straight grain is and that's a problem if I don't want to use the bias.
You can't see the threads? Threads going north and south and east and west are straight. Bias is a 45 degree turn.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Power Poster

My friend Dorothy does alot of my prep work for me and when I give her fabric to cut for making Blocks she will look at it and see the holes or jagged areas and say:

Well it looks like a little mouse has been at it again! LOl

I am always hacking off a small piece here and there. I always have ragged looking fabric! I might need a piece that only that only that fabric will allow me to cut it out. I leave the ends and odd shaped sections because I might need to cut a long piece and that odd shape might just give me enough room for the length I need.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:54 PM

I really don't like the "all kind of shapes left" fabric, either! But, I am like Rhonda, and I do leave it that way as I always think, "What if I need that exact fabric, and it needs to be a few inches longer??...and it was until I cut it off to be even.." ;)
Old 10-28-2011, 11:44 PM

I don't have a problem with it. You can always cut it straight later but what if
Old 10-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Power Poster

I cut mine that way when I use it on applique but anything with geometrics, I also cut a strip and trim down. The good thing- they will be easy to straighten out.