Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your orphan blocks ? >

What do you do with your orphan blocks ?

What do you do with your orphan blocks ?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I've never even heard of a "Mile-A-Minute quilt" before but I'm intrigued by the name. Info please?
There is a tute on how to make them somewhere on the board but I can't find it. You take all of your odd leftover strips and sew your scraps onto it in one long strip, then cut them apart, press them open and lay them down on another strip, sew down that whole strip. Keep repeating that until you get a piece big enough to cut a block out of. I cut them into 6 1/2" blocks, but you can make them any size.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 AM

""My orphans are kept in an "orphanage" pizza box. I get them out every once in a while and try to put them together for a donation quilt. They look hideous together. All the blocks are very nice by themselves but all the different sizes and colours do not play well together. ""

I hear you! I'm in the same boat. Sometimes I'll choose one of the blocks, make some more of the same block or complimentary blocks from my stash and put together at least a wallhanging. So I try to use the blocks as inspiration - - -and also as a good way to chip away at my stash. If I'm not thrilled with it when it's finished, I give it to a charity or as a door prize at my guild.

Another idea is to give all the orphan blocks to your local guild and let THEM do something with them.

Do you participate in any of the block swaps on this site? Several people are glad to get any sort of block. In fact, they'll say 'any orphan blocks are fine'. Just a thought - - -

Jane
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 AM

This is what I was going to suggest. She has some great ideas.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I would get hold of a copy of Sharyn Craig's 'Setting Solutions" either at your library or from amazon (they have used ones)
http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Soluti...ting+Solutions
The book has great ideas about setting blocks that are different sizes, colors etc. Great book with lots of creative ideas.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 PM

I put them on the backs of quilts..separated by some distance if they fight with each otherLOL
Old 11-06-2012, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by nycbgirl View Post
I threw some away yesterday.....don't yell at me.....I just didn't like them.
Now that's a brave confession.
Annie
Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
See? That's my problem exactly. Most of mine are "fine" -- they're just not "matched" or even "match-able". I guess I'd just not very creative.
I make quilties (24" square quilts for the local NICU) out of my orphans. Small enough that I can just add a bit to the matched blocks, and worry the rest of the orphans another day. Just finished one recently - I had piano key border strips and 4 4-patch blocks left from a quilt I made 2 years ago. Not quite finished in this pic, but I think you can see the idea

[ATTACH=CONFIG]375228[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pb030431.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 AM

I recently did this with most of my orphans...[ATTACH=CONFIG]375239[/ATTACH]

It is a charity quilt and will offer it at Christmas time along with other choices, though I must say, it has a special charm...
Attached Thumbnails qaug-front.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 PM

I don't know wht PM means. How do I get an address to send donations?

There is a Loving Veteran waiting to love any and all "orphans" I accept all donations of orphan blocks, etc to be adopted by a lonely Veteran.
PM for donation address

"Step up and leave no Veteran behind"
Old 04-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Jim

I try to incorporate them into a sampler or scrappy quilt. I also use them as part of the backing. If its something I don't like I don't feel bad about throwing it away.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 PM

In our group we donated to one member who was making a quilt to raise money for her sons school. In the end she made 3. Because of the numerous a amount given colours and matching was fa easier and sashing covered slight variations in colour. Trimming was required on some quilts.