Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your orphan blocks ? >

What do you do with your orphan blocks ?

What do you do with your orphan blocks ?

Old 06-28-2012, 03:47 AM

I'm going to use mine this weekend to make a few scrap baskets. Then you have a fresh picture everytime you approach it from a different direction. I'm hoping there are enough blocks for the outside and the linings. Loved the idea of chopping them up for crumbs too.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:16 AM

I use them for tote bags and pillows. I made a great tote bag from a leftover log cabin block. Could use them around the bottom of an apron to make it pretty or a valance for a window.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:19 AM

I have many orphan blocks saved...hoping to make a scrappy quilt with them...someday. So far I know I still need more blocks, so it is a future project...no rush to get it done.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:20 AM

Decorate your sewing room wall with them. Use bottled starch, and a spongy paint brush. Put the block on the wall, brush on the starch/water mixturem all over the block, smoothing it out. Once it is dried, you are all set. Can easily be removed and wall can be wiped down with warm water to remove the starch.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:10 AM

I made a childs quilt, table runners, mugrugs, potholders, always have a few somewhere.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I would get hold of a copy of Sharyn Craig's 'Setting Solutions" either at your library or from amazon (they have used ones)
http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Soluti...ting+Solutions
The book has great ideas about setting blocks that are different sizes, colors etc. Great book with lots of creative ideas.
Oh my gosh... I actually have that book! It's downstairs on a bookshelf & I hadn't even thought about it in forever. That's a fabulous book, too! THANK YOU for reminding me of it!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
I use mine to practice free motion quilting... I like the idea of the American Veteran Project too... our son is full-time National Guard (he is a Master Gunner and is the training officer for the local armory) and a veteran who has served two tours in Iraq. So any project that benefits the active duty military, the reserves or National Guard, or our veterans is near and dear to my heart!
Please thank your son for his service for me, OK?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sue_R View Post
Check out this book:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/crea...=9781607052654
by Rayna Gillman. Then proceed to slice and dice and patch your surplus blocks and come up with something surprisingly beautiful!!!

If you're not going to use them, looks like "bluteddi" (who posted an answer to your question, too), would love to have them and put them to good use!!! Let your orphans live on and brighten someone's life! :-)
Thanks for the link to that book! I'm putting that one on my B/D list for this year! And yes, I do plan to send my blocks to Teddi... as soon as I find the silly things. I knew right where they were & now I cannot, cannot, cannot find the silly things ANYWHERE (tho I finally did find my big ruler -- behind my dresser. How did that happen??)! Does anyone else have this problem? Things just grow legs & walk away? Or is it just my house? LOL!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
I slice and dice them and use them in crumb quilt squares. I love crumbing - and even the most unsightly orphan looks dazzling when crumbed up.
What exactly is a "crumb" quilt? I keep hearing people talk about them but guess I've just been living under a rock too long & don't know what they are. They sound interesting...
Old 07-03-2012, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
Seems like a good time to share this link: http://orphantrainsfromfinn.blogspot.com/ ENJOY!
What a fabulous link! Thanks! I see some of Bonnie Hunter's stuff there... she's the best! Love her stuff!