Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Round Robin help - I'm stumped for an idea! >
  • Round Robin help - I'm stumped for an idea!

• Round Robin help - I'm stumped for an idea!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:31 AM

Wow Jan, what a challenge. I personally like Tartan's idea, if you could only remove the crooked pieces, it would be a great start,though I know you can't. But, I know you well enough to know that you will come up with some fantastic idea! Keep us posted please. We always used to say "catty-whompus." Fun to compare sayings. Best wishes.....
    Old 02-09-2013, 08:39 AM

Oh gosh, Jan. This is a tough one! I do not like that striped border with that beautiful center. I vote for putting a red stop border next. Guess you have two choices; go back to traditional or continue modern. Ha, not much help there sorry. I do like Karen's suggestion though to continue on the more modern path.
    What would you do if that border wasn't there? I ask because if I got this quilt back I would seriously consider replacing that border myself (you said it is not his style?) if you were to bring it back to traditional. Maybe he'll put applique on that striped border himself.
    Good luck!!!
    Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 AM

add a bright and large enoungh red border to overwhelme the stripes and the white.
    Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 AM

Can u applique un the stripe to cover some of it? Good luck.
    Old 02-09-2013, 08:46 AM

You might pull two solid colors out of the stripe and add the white to make a braided look, or basket weave. Good luck with that one, I wouldn't have any idea what to do. Is your row the next one, or the lady that is over time?
    Old 02-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Okay as an avid round robiner I say wack the stripes off. Take a photo for the owner. I would add a pale color for the other half of the border or do a small 2 inch breaking border for that wonky stripped one. I know if it were my quilt I would ball it up and throw it out with that stripped border. It is hard to imagine anyone adding that to this quilt. Then I would add my border of red white and grey to frame the center. Just my opinion. I would call both the owner and the person that did that round. I find when they run out of time they do a quick fix. It is not always the right fix but they send it on. I always ask myself would I like that on my quilt? So hoping you can make it right. Luann
    Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 AM

I agree, I don't like those striped & white triangles at all. In fact, I first thought those were folds in the quilt. Sorry, but I have no ideas for your contribution that you probably have not thought of -- and improved upon -- yourself, except something to tone down those stripes and bring it back to looking "square" and balanced. Look forward to seeing what you finally decide on!
    Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 AM

Oh my. I don't understand why the quilter would have put on the stripes. I guess I would just put on 2 boarders of different sizes. A black thinner one first to put an end to the strips and then maybe a bit larger red to match the flying geese. Otherwise, I too am stumped. Good luck and please post pics. Good luck.
    Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by KarenK
    I would add a narrow black border like the others to continue that repetition. For the outer border, I would keep it rather simple to throw focus back on the center. By repeating some colors from the center in the outer border it would bring more balance overall. I would start with the light blue (background of the cardinal block), the darkest green from the leaves, charcoal or black. I'd have to audition them to see what would work best.

The mock-up was done in EQ7. The border is from Auto Borders, Single Block Patterns 1-6. There are some other borders in that section that may work too.[ATTACH=CONFIG]393805[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]393807[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]393808[/ATTACH]
    Oh, I think this works! I like the first one. It frames that out of sync border and makes it make sense. Great job, KarenK!
    Old 02-09-2013, 09:32 AM

I would cut the border down by half at least. Then add a red border the same size as the thin green one and repeat the flying geese pattern all the way around only in green, maybe some leaves appliqued in each corner and branching out over the striped border. One more thin red border to finish it off. I agree, I'm horrified at those stripes. You could also put some appliqued leaves on the white triangles overlapping into the original quilt block to disguise the harsh white shapes. Oh I wish you the best of luck.