Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly Rolls >

Jelly Rolls

Jelly Rolls

Old 09-26-2013, 03:51 PM

Shelbie, I totally agree with you; but I DO understand the allure. I have purchased jelly rolls, but usually it's for a quilted bag or quilt carrier or something of the sort. I find a colorway that I like, and just pick them off and sew. These are rare occasions.

Yes, they are expensive; yes, there may be fabric choices that you don't like; and, YES sometimes the strips are cut wonky! Of course, you're extremely limited in what you can make, as well. I'm on board with your comments.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine View Post
I like that you can get 20-40 different coordinating (usually) fabrics in a precut. I love the charm packs on MSQco daily deal.
Yes, you can see all the fabrics in the precut on MSQco web site. Just one of the reasons I love them so much
Old 09-28-2013, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by pokeygirl View Post
I buy all my jelly rolls from Moda. I go to Pinterest and pick the jelly rolls. I have never been disappointed with Moda. It always shows you all the fabric in the roll. I have made several jelly roll race quilts and love them all.
OOPS! I just thought of something.....it's not Pinterest I go to, but it's ETSY.com where I go to the shops and order my precuts from Moda. Sorry about the mistake.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:30 AM

Precuts are wonderful for anyone with arthritis or difficulty with picking coordinating fabric. I prefer yardage, but have found great deals on precuts on ebay. Most of the time, all the fabrics are shown (if not, I don't purchase). I also check carefully to see where the fabrics are coming from if they are not designer. I also stick with ads that state the fabric is "quilt shop quality". I'm not sure, because I haven't had a problem, that ebay buyer protection would cover the purchase and shipping if the fabric is not "as advertised". I buy a large percentage of my fabric from ebay because I can usually get it very cheaply and I've learned what to look for in the ads to avoid the cheap, damaged stuff.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:43 PM

I don't use precuts as I find them more expensive. I usually cut my own JRs, layer cakes and charms.

Anita
Old 09-28-2013, 03:56 PM

I totally understand about choosing colors, Pat. I agonized over the wall colors in our new house for weeks. Everyone I talked to had no problem with the idea of picking colors for somewhere you didn't even live yet, but i was paralyzed by it. Finally, i chose a soft white for every room except one, and when they were painting the one color, it was so clearly awful I had them painting white over it the first day! Now I love the white and glad i have it. But I sure wish I'd figured it out before all that harrangue.

Quilts are easier, i think. You can build a stash very quickly in the process of "adjusting the palette" ( i.e., buying the wrong stuff).

hugs, Charlotte
Old 09-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

I love pre cuts. I've learned to buy only Moda precuts and never had a problem with different sizes. The Moda precuts have all the fabric in that designer line. The first few fabric are the fabrics that has every color of each of the other fabrics. They all coordinate. I have baskets full of jelly rolls, charm packs, layer cakes and other cuts. I can grab a few pre cuts and take off to the open sew days at guild with no hassle of yardage. And I love seeing them in the baskets in my sewing room. I paid more for an area rug then all the precuts to fill up the baskets and have usable decor. LOL
Old 09-28-2013, 04:06 PM

I just received the layer cakes to make that envelope quilt from MSQC, too. Looked good in YouTube! Charm Squares or layer cakes, I've found them wonky and not exactly right....not necessarily from MSQC though. I like the precuts...faster than cutting your own.