Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice >

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

Old 11-07-2013, 06:30 AM

My husband works at the paint counter at HD ... asking him to pick up the paint sample cards for me today!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:26 PM

Linda and her Inklingo program is linking up with Bonnie

http://www.lindafranz.com/blog/bonni...nklingo-intro/
See revealed her fabrics and such what today.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:00 PM

This is my first mystery quilt with Bonnie, so I have a few questions. First, so far all I've seen is the list of colors and yardage needed. Has there been anything else and somehow I've missed it? When will she tell us what size and how much to cut? I'm worried she'll tell us on a busy week for me and I'll fall behind right away. Second, how much of a variety do most people use in fabric? I have my paint color things, but I can pull in any other shades and patterns of those colors that compliment the 4 colors on the paint thing, right? 4 shades would be boring. Sorry for the newbie questions and thanks in advance for any clarification you can offer me! Anything else you think I should know? I'm open to any helpful hints I can get!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:54 PM

I am also going to be doing Bonnie's mystery quilt I am so looking forward to starting on the 29th. I am using autumn tones and gathering neutrals. This will be my second Bonnie Quilt. Easy Street is at the long armers. I will have to decide what to bind it with.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:03 PM

Nilla, I used about 15 different fat quarters of each color on last years mystery. Variety is good as long as the majority of the color in your fq is orange or green or whatever. That's my opinion.

And yes all we have now is colors and quantity. Her first clue will begin our sewing and well get a new clue once a week until she's done. Six to eight weeks??? I think.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:03 PM

Nilla - like Sheri said, Bonnie will post a new set of instructions each week starting Nov. 29th. You will have a week to finish those instructions. She posts every Friday until the big Reveal! I do not use as many fabrics as Sheri, here is what I have collected so far, as you can see, I still need some more Greens.
Attached Thumbnails img_0031.jpg  
Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 AM

Thank you ladies. It's good to be able to come here and make sure I'm understanding correctly. I think I have plenty of greens, blues and yellows. I'm substituting pink for orange. I've got a good bit, but think I'll try to find at least a few more of the darker, raspberry shade.

Is one week usually enough to keep up while still working on other projects and keeping up with life's responsibilities or do you simply follow enough of the instructions in that week to remember what to do for the rest of the quilt when you get to it?

I know it might be silly, but I'm really looking forward to getting in on this. I've never done a mystery quilt before!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
Thank you ladies. It's good to be able to come here and make sure I'm understanding correctly. I think I have plenty of greens, blues and yellows. I'm substituting pink for orange. I've got a good bit, but think I'll try to find at least a few more of the darker, raspberry shade.

Is one week usually enough to keep up while still working on other projects and keeping up with life's responsibilities or do you simply follow enough of the instructions in that week to remember what to do for the rest of the quilt when you get to it?

I know it might be silly, but I'm really looking forward to getting in on this. I've never done a mystery quilt before!
If life does interfer with this mystery at any step, Bonnie encourages us to do at least a sample of that step so that we know what is to be done. For example, step 3 may require using step 2 in some way so having at least a sample of each step is necessary. If you want a truly scrappy quilt, use as many different fabrics as possible. It's a place to use up all of those odd leftovers even if it is only for a couple of pieces. A more controlled scrappy would use fewer fabrics. If you look through her patterns on her site, totally scrappy can give beautiful results. Because it is over the holidays, falling behind can be expected so don't beat yourself if you do. I met a woman last summer who was just finishing up Easy Street from last year and the last clue was around the first of the year. Mysteries are a time to step outside the box and experiment with something new. Bonnie gives good instructions and you will have good results!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 PM

I managed to lose this thread twice.

Is there any way it can be moved to BOMs?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:12 PM

I'm going to be a mystery quilter too. Since it's my first with Bonnie, I am very glad to see so many here are participating too. Haven't purchased or gone through my stash yet for fabric's & I am going with Bonnie's colors - I do have the paint cards!