Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Butterfly Quilt >

Butterfly Quilt

Butterfly Quilt

Old 07-19-2014, 07:27 AM

Your quilt came out beautiful. I just started on the Floating Crosses this morning. I have a long way to go!! Wish me luck![ATTACH=CONFIG]484018[/ATTACH]Do you have any "tips" for me and anyone else who may make this quilt?
Attached Thumbnails floating-cross.jpg  
Old 07-19-2014, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
Your quilt came out beautiful. I just started on the Floating Crosses this morning. I have a long way to go!! Wish me luck![ATTACH=CONFIG]484018[/ATTACH]Do you have any "tips" for me and anyone else who may make this quilt?
nygal - I went step by step through the pattern book - I started with the first page - made all the blocks - labeled them before I started on the next set of blocks. Also if you look at each pattern - you will see the assorted ways she made each block for instance Intersection - you make 10 blocks total but you can see that she switched the order of fabrics 1-4 in the little blocks at the bottom of that section - so I followed those guidelines for my blocks too - then I labeled each subset of blocks. When you look at Floating Cross you see there is a total of 8 blocks but she made 4 blocks with a light and medium fabric and then 2 blocks with a light and dark fabric then two blocks with the light medium reversed - I would label each subset of blocks within the block section. Also - you have to make all the blocks in each section before even trying to lay them out. At least that's what I did - I tried to lay them out before I finished and it doesn't look like anything - when you are finished with all the blocks sew them together by following each section diagram and make sure that you layout your left side and right side of each section before going on to the next section. I had to double check all of mine to be sure I used the right blocks. But at the end when you finish each section - go the section assembly and viola - that's when the magic happens - it actually looks like a butterfly in the end. Its a large quilt too. Its really just a sampler type or skill builder type quilt - the blocks aren't hard to make - its just keeping everything labeled so you don't get confused. Bigsister63 also made the quilt and we talked back and forth on the telephone many times - but she did a wonderful job.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:06 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]484261[/ATTACH]Thank you Otis for the tips!! I did all the "floating crosses", the "mini log cabins" and started the "chunky crosses" too. I have zip lock bags labeled for what section of the quilt each block that I finish will go into, such as #9L or #9R. That way when it's time to put the sections together I will be ready. I agree the blocks are not difficult just a lot of them!
Attached Thumbnails mini-log-cabins.jpg  

Last edited by nygal; 07-20-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:35 PM

FINALLY !!!!! here is my version of the Butterfly quilt! I will start quilting it tomorrow (hopefully). This is not a hard quilt to make as long as you follow the instructions and make each set of blocks.The hardest part was choosing which colors to use since it looks like Talula made each block a variety of colors combos. As Otis says- it is hard to vision the completed quilt colors since you can not lay out the quilt until all the blocks are made. I remade 2 sets of blocks since I did not like the color layout when I was putting it together. I decided to add 6" borders all the way around the quilt rather than the 11" border at the top and bottom I am going to FMQ flowers in pink and purple in the borders and then SID around the outline of the butterfly with invisible thread using purple/pink on the bobbin.and then not sure what to do inside. Good luck and have FUN!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails sam_2079.jpg  
Old 07-20-2014, 01:41 PM

This is Beautiful. I've been thinking Butterfly for a Child's quilt. This might be the ticket.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:41 PM

It is really beautiful, I think you may have started something!
Old 07-20-2014, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]484261[/ATTACH]Thank you Otis for the tips!! I did all the "floating crosses", the "mini log cabins" and started the "chunky crosses" too. I have zip lock bags labeled for what section of the quilt each block that I finish will go into, such as #9L or #9R. That way when it's time to put the sections together I will be ready. I agree the blocks are not difficult just a lot of them!
A

Are you making the blocks in the set 2 of each different colors. You do not want all the "floating crosses" all the same color combination. Only make 2 of each color combo in eash set. So to put a set in a bag with the position it goes in may noit work since you may not like the color placement whe you are actually putting the quilt together.

Did you buy a ket?that may make it easier to mae the color combos. Actually there are 76 blocks made from 15 sets not counting the HST. I followed her directions and they were not too bad to make. Just be carefull not to stretch then when pressing them open.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:17 PM

Great pattern, so different. Can't wait for the quilting.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:27 PM

Oh that is is just lovely. Beautiful colors and pattern. Wow!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:34 PM

Absolutely stunning. Would love to attempt that quilt but don't have the space to keep it organized