Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Butterfly Quilt >

Butterfly Quilt

Butterfly Quilt

Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
Absolutely stunning. Would love to attempt that quilt but don't have the space to keep it organized
this quilt does not take a lot of room to be organized. I cut fabric and made all blocks in each set and then put this in a baggie and put that aside and then on to the next set of blocks. there are 15 sets of blocks and each set has a specific number of block that are needed for the quilt. It seem like a lot of fabric cutting but it wold be too confusing if you tried to cut al fabrics at the same time. One thing that I did was to cut 2 1/2" strips of several different fabric since I did notice that many blocks used that size square/rectangle. Also the instructions are for 1 block and you need 2 duplicate blocks so I had to do math and cut fabric to make 2 blocks.

when putting top together i laid one side out on my design wall and the other on a table. I sewed each section together as I went rather then laying it all out and then sewing it together.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]484354[/ATTACH]Yes, I did make my floating blocks in different colors. I am following the original quilt pretty closely. I did buy the kit. I'm not sure some of my fabrics are the exact she used in her quilt tho. I really am enjoying working on this. I will get more done on the weekends since I babysit my 2 month old Granddaughter during the week.

How I am organizing is I have a zip lock bag for each of the many SECTIONS of the quilt such as #5L (left), #5R (right). As I make the blocks that will eventually be sewn in each "section" I put it in the zip lock bag that is labeled for that section. That why when I am all done I will take each bag and know that all of those blocks go into that one section. I am not keeping the blocks stacked together. I like having them separated into sections already.

I also printed out a copy of the quilt chart and cross off each block that I finish and at a glance I see my progress.
Attached Thumbnails 8-floating-crosses-done.jpg  

Last edited by nygal; 07-21-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:06 AM

bigsister63 - I love how your quilt came out - the colors are perfect and I think its a good idea to add the 6" borders this quilt is big and adding the 11" to the top and bottom just makes it even bigger. nygal - you are doing great - just go step by step and you will do fine - its not difficult blocks - most are very basic and some are really small but its when you are finished that the magic happens - I had the hardest time while making it - because you can't really lay it out and see what it will look like - it doesn't look like anything until the background pieces are added and all those hst - make sure to keep us updated on your progress and I am anxious to see how your quilt looks from the kit. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:46 AM

I do think this butterfly would be beautiful in all batiks!! Originally that's what I thought I'd do. But who knows..maybe if I make a second one I will do Batiks!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:13 AM

I saw this pattern on Pinterest and you've done a wonderful job with it. Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:23 AM

wow, that is gorgeous