Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the one quilting tool you had to have but have never used? >

What is the one quilting tool you had to have but have never used?

What is the one quilting tool you had to have but have never used?

Old 12-11-2017, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by RosaSharon View Post
I don't know the name of it, but it has a very nice round wooden handle, and a metal shank (round and smooth) with notches intended to help take quilting safety pins out. I never use it for anything!
I saw one of those. (For the record, it is for putting the pins in, to help close them....). I looked at the method to use it, and the teaspoon trick grandma taught me is just plain easier and more convenient. No tool to hunt for when I need it, and I have teaspoons in the kitchen, nice and easy to find. Lol.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:55 PM

I think this would make an interesting swap. Trading things you don’t use for things other people don’t use.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:29 PM

Several years ago. I bought Fons & Porter's binding tool and have never used it.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by maudeflanagan View Post
I think this would make an interesting swap. Trading things you don’t use for things other people don’t use.
Great idea. We could each make a list of the things we have, and others could PM the owner to make a trade....
Old 12-11-2017, 08:47 PM

This thread has me laughing my patootie off. Since I'm still building my supply of quilting tools, I decided to only buy something if needed for a current project. DUH! Easier said than done. I have the Pounce and I had to wear DH's bifocals over my bifocals to see anything. Threw it in drawer so it's likely this will go to "The Land of Forgotten Tools" soon enough.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 AM

I bought a sheet of template plastic that I have never used. Think I found a quilt pattern I like that needed a template but never got around to using it. I also have the wooden handle safety pin opener/closer that I had to buy when I took my first Quilting 101 class (along with lots of curved safety pins) to make the sandwich. But now that I use spray baste, I never use either. I also have several speciality rulers like curved ones, etc. that I have never used. Maybe one day.....HA!
Old 12-14-2017, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
What machine do you have that has a plastic feed dog throat plate? I have never seen one that wasn't metal.

I use the Simplicity Binding machine for all my binding. I bought the tip that takes a 2 1/2 in wide strip. It folds in in half and presses it for straight binding or bias cut strips for bias binding.
Its discontinued and now all my guild members are looking for one since I brought mine in to make binding for donation quilts.
My new Babylock has a plastic throat plate. I hate it.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:48 PM

I have a circular rotating cutting board. It rotates...so it's always moving when I go to cut.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
EQ7. I bought it years ago. My goal for next year is to learn it.
me too. And I say every year that I am going to learn and use it this year. bought in 2013 and feel like I just threw away my birthday money!! Maybe year 5 will be the magic year for both of us. lol
Old 12-15-2017, 05:48 AM

For those of you that have a pounce pad-I'm wondering if you could use a vacuum cleaner, maybe a hand held since they aren't as strong, to pull the powder through.

FREE Quilting Newsletter