Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep >
  • colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep

• colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep

Old 06-07-2010, 02:16 PM
    MCH

OK...I won't go into the details, but I'm due for one of these beauties. It was 2003 and the signs weren't good. Blessedly, the golf ball-sized tumor was benign and it was low enough in my colon that abdominal surgery wasn't necessary. The surgeon was able to take care of it "through the back door", so to speak.

As anyone who can fog a mirror will tell you, the prep for this sucks. I felt so sorry for the woman who was in the same "holding area" as my husband was a few years ago before he had his. We overheard the dr. telling her that he couldn't do the procedure on her because her colon was full of "mud" (his words) as she didn't follow his directions for the prep. I always wondered if she just fogot about the test or decided to follow the prep directions and have the test. Oh, well...

Aside from a "CCBofH" (Clean Colon Bill of Health), which is the biggest benefit of enduring the prep, my husband and I have a traditional "PC" (post-colostomy)routine that we enjoy.

We go to the German restaurant near the dr's. office and totally indulge ourselves in that wonderful food. By then, it's been so long since I had any solid food that I'm redy to eat the wallpaper off any wall!

And I always have at least one litre of good German beer. I lift my stein and say a silent prayer of thanks that the test is available to me and him.

The backstory here is that I don't have a family history that includes cancer, but my husband does. He lost his father (when Daddy was 52) and both grandmothers to colon cancer. My husband's sister (pardon the expression) flat-a** REFUSES to have a colonoscopy because the prep sucks.

Her husband died 1 month ago today from prostate cancer. He had the same attitude about the prostate exam that most people have about the prep for a colonoscopy.

From my experience, to help keep yourself hydrated, get yourself a big bottle of Welch's white grape juice. Keep it chilled. It tastes great and you can't drink too much of it.
    Old 06-11-2011, 06:15 PM

I've had a colonoscopy and had no ill effects from it, the preparation wasn't all that great but it's doable. If your doctor thinks that your age or family history warrants one, I would follow his advice, colon cancer is one of the most "curable" cancers from everything that I've read. It's your call though.
    Old 06-11-2011, 06:33 PM

Cancer does not have to be genetic. It can be caused by materials you are exposed to in your work environment. Cancer is unheard of in both my families until recently. The two women who had breast cancer (one died in her 30s, the other had a mastectomy in her early 60s) came from an area where there is a lot of agricultural spraying. The only other, my uncle, worked with chemicals such as benzene. My uncle had polyps and the second coloscopy showed malignancy. He's been through chemo now and 3 years later is still doing well.d

It really is up to you, but as another poster said, a lot of people don't do it and some will die as a result of their cancer having spread.
    Old 06-11-2011, 06:36 PM

I put off until age 53 to have one...and then that year when I was having my annual physical, my doctor called scheduled it while I was at that appointment.
    I did what was called "same day prep"...I got to have dinner by 6pm, and then nothing after....and started the prep at 6am...had to be at facility by noon, and procedure was at 1pm...went home and spent the rest of day on couch and back to work the next day.
    I work at a health care facility, and soon they are starting some sort of blood testing to be done in-between the 10 year (or whatever#) testing to check for abnormal readings. Wish I knew more about it, but they are hoping it will be helpful in catching anything that might show up before the next 10 year screening.
    Old 06-11-2011, 06:43 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I had mine at 51. the prep and maybe the embarrassment are the only discomfort. no offense meant here but; medical tests have nothing to do with God Almighty. that is between you and your doctor. The Lord can ease your soul but he won't interfer with a simple test. they help identify the need for treatment. mho

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    I had one two years ago. I had no complications with the prep or with the test.
    The prep taste etc is worse then the actual test.
    Whether to have one or not is up to you, but I think it is a good idea for if they do find anything they can catch it early.
    If there is any family history of colon issues I would definitely have it done.
    Old 06-11-2011, 06:44 PM
    kbs

My father died of colon cancer before there was a colonoscopy exam. I get mine every three years just like I get a mamogram every year.
    Old 06-11-2011, 06:51 PM

Ultimately, the decision is up to you. I agree with everyone else, the prep is the worst part. Hubby has to have them done every 5 years due to family history. Also, he had 5 polyps removed. 3 were mildly agrressive and turn into cancer, 2 were very agressive and turn into cancer. On another note, a 35 yr old man just died in our comunity not long ago from colon cancer. No one in his family had a history of it, and when he started passing blood went to the doctor. In his case, they did everything possible to save him. It just didn't work out. It would give you peace of mind to know you have nothing to worry about if they find nothing. ON the other hand, if they did find something early enough, it could save your life...
    Old 06-11-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
    I hope this is okay to post here.

After all I have read I'm still not convinced this is beneficial. The procedure can cause complications and the prep can be harmful to kidneys and cause major dehydration. Since they recommend every 10 years what happens in between?

I'm interested in your opinions, comments, and factual info you may have. I do have one scheduled but am debating on keeping the appt.

Also, am I the only one that disagrees with this? Do we need to have every test they recommend?
    I have had one, and I think the yuck factor bothers most people.
    Dehydration comes when you don't get enough fluids, all you have to do is drink plenty of water. No matter what they say, you can drink water up to an hour before the procedure. Fortunately my physician did not use the GoLitely prep which is the gallon, but had me use Mag Citrate, sold over the counter, used double dose. Much easier to handle.
    Colon cancer is one of the easiest cancers to treat if caught early, but can also be very invasive if left untreated because the blood flow is so good in that area.
    If you do nothing else at least have a stool for occult blood test done.
    And by the way... they give you really good drugs! You won't mind a thing.
    You can choose to ignore this by saying if my time is there so be it. But by the same thinking you can quit using your seat belt, washing your hands (or expect if to others), taking antibiotics or any other medications, bathing, cooking your foods, looking both ways before crossing the road, mammo, pap tests, etc. or any of the other things we have started doing since the last century.
    Also might as well let the kids play in the street because if it's their time.....
    Old 06-11-2011, 09:02 PM

Had one. Survived. Due for the next in three years and I'll be there. Embarrassing, yes. The worst part was the 'prep' kicked in again AFTER I was hooked to the I.V. in the group ready room. I bailed out of bed, taking the I.V. pole with one hand and the other clutching the back of the flapping gown. Luckily there was a lavatory in the room. Eventually, I had to open the door a crack and hiss at my DH and ask him to get me another gown. Now I know of ONE good reason for those darn shoulder snaps. The worst part of my day was cleaning up and changing hooked to the I.V.

Seriously, this is an important procedure as the preceding replies testify. I had a routine mammogram without any palpable lumps or other symptoms and it was positive, leading to ultrasound and referral to the Betty Puskar Breast Cancer Center at WVU Hospital. The professional staff and volunteers and surgeon and radiology were all anyone could have wished for. Without this test, the early stage 2 tumor would not have been found so early and treated so successfully (so far!). I prayed a two parter: "Give me guts and Thy will be done."

Have the test, get your baseline results. Those effing cancers are silent and deadly.
    Old 06-11-2011, 09:21 PM

pagandeva2000

Comments by patients during Colonoscopies

Colonoscopies are no joke , but these comments during the exam were quite
    humorous..... A physician claimed that the following are actual comments
    made by his patients (predominately male) while he was performing their
    colonoscopies:

1. "Take it easy, Doc. You're boldly going where no man has gone before!

2. "Find Amelia Earhart yet?"

3. "Can you hear me NOW?"

4. "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

5. "You know, in Arkansas, we're now legally married."

6. "Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?"

7. "You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out..."

8. "Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!"

9. "If your hand doesn't fit, you must quit!

10. "Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity."

11. "You used to be an executive at Enron, didn't you?"

12. "Boy, now I know why I am not gay."

And the best one of all...

13. "Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up
    there?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~