Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
June 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes June 1st >

June 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes June 1st

June 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ signup closes June 1st

Old 07-23-2014, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Kathy. I have canned for 30 + yrs. But never have had to let cucumbers stand this long. I refrigerated them over night but didn't rinse the salt off yet. I was afraid they would soften if I did. I know they get rinsed before I put them in the syrup. Thanks for the help,I thought they would be ok.I have a dill pickle recipe that the cukes sit for 24 hrs in ice water to help them be crisp. My tomatoes are beefsteaks and are still green,but are really big and pretty. Last year I didn't get a garden out for one reason or another. I sure missed it. My garden gets smaller and smaller. only 2 rows this year. (25 ft.long) It used to ne about 15 rows. My husband is 76 and can't keep up the tilling and such on a big garden. Since my heart surgery I can't either. But I love the fresh veggies and the homemade pickles and salsa.You did good Monday getting so much done. Farmers markets are getting as high in prices as grocery stores to buy from. To expensive to buy from there to can. Hope you got a good deal on the tomatoes. Have a good day all.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

i too have only made fridge strawberry jam, and boy was that good!!!.i'd be afraid of killing everyone if i tried canning. one thing i haven't done yet, but seriously need to try.
My chicken is posted now under pictures,,,,lynnies chicken pincushion. Jeanne posted pictures for me. she's on the board also and only 5 miles from me. we quilt together on Tuesdays. started my purple pincushion yesterday. need to get busy on it.
Hot today high 80's low 90's stay cool everyone.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 AM

Lynnie your chicken pincushion is just soooooo cute. It's cooler now than when I went out but misting a lot. I also made freezer peach jam too. I had started a small garden the first year I moved here. The zucchini grew tons and I don't eat it. The tomatoes had black spots on them and the pepper plants dropped the leaves as soon as they were planted. Really crappy clay soil here. That was my last year for a garden. I did plant a container tomato plant with small pear shaped tomatoes. Only had a few before I fed it and now I have more and the stalk is green. I also killed my replacement plants with the same feed. It was a premeasured packet so I'm not sure what happened. Waiting for thunderstorms
Old 07-23-2014, 12:14 PM

I wish you hadn't posted a picture of your chickie pc. She is just too adorable! Now I am going to have a hard time figuring out who will get her because I want her and I know everyone else will too.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

I tried canning some pickles a long time ago, but they didn't stay crisp. I don't think I knew about keeping them on ice. Otherwise they tasted good. I did can some jam back then too, and had so much fun doing it. I did it the hot method, but had all kinds of different size jars I kept from other things, so to seal them, I used an old fashioned method of melting wax, and poured it thick on top, and let it cool. The jam all did well, and tasted so good. I want to make some more if we have enough blackberries. If not then it will be frozen blackberries for some cobbler.

We had thunderstorms earlier today, and lots of rain.

Lynnie I seen your chickie, and she is so cute and all dolled up with her cute necklace. The little long legs that hang down does make it cute to put on a shelf.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

glad you like the chicken.
anyone have any leftover jam, i'll gladly take it off your hands.
now i want toast and jam, a whole loaf worth of it. MMMmmm.
Working on crochet. giving my fingers a rest from fabric. will get back to it tomorrow o tonight.
I must get working on the sept "PURPLE" theme. any ida what's for october??? that's a scary
thought, October already?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:22 PM

Lynnie
The pin cushion is sweet...I know that we mostly talk about quilts and good stuff..I am in desperate need of any prayers that we can get..We are going to get my hubbys daughter Sharon to bring her home to Georgia to be with her family before she goes to heaven...She has been told she has terminal cancer and in the last stages and very sick..her doctors first said that he would not release her to travel but she said she wanted to see her children and grandchildren before she dies so he is granting her last wishes..He has caution us that she might pass on the way home but I am praying that she will make it home and her kids will come see her as soon a possible..It is a 800 mile trip so my prayer is that it is not too much for her..Please call anyone you know who prays and ask them to pray for her..We all know that God can see her thru this..Thanking you in advance
Kathy
Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

Kathy so sorry to hear about Sharon. That is a terrible way to go. I'll pray for her and your family. Keep your faith and you will have strength to get through this no matter what happens. I really don't know who the doctors are to tell anyone they can't go home to die. You ought to be with family if possible. I understand if she passes on the trip home it will be terrible for everyone. If it's what she wants she should go.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

OK I put in lynnie's chicken pincushion in the search slot and nothing for it came up. I wanna see it too.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:44 PM

Kathy where is Sharon coming from??? I can't find the chicken either, #1 don't know where the pictures are, #2 don't know how to get to them...