Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm discouraged :( >

I'm discouraged :(

I'm discouraged :(

Old 05-22-2011, 08:30 AM

I've been looking at this machine, too. I was just wondering if you have put it on a frame and if so...how do you like it?

Originally Posted by Sneed
Recently, I think I solved this problem by purchasing a Brother PQ1500s for $800 that I will use solely for FMQing. My Viking QD that I love just would not allow decent FMQ no matter what needle, thread, or technique I tried. So, after looking at Sweet Sixteens and long arms I decided on the Brother.

I just won't be doing enough FMQ to warrant spending over $4000. This way I can use the Viking to piece and the Brother to FMQ. I had the dealer set the tension for my quilt sandwich thickness, etc and hope that this will solve my problem. I don't have any great expectations of becoming an expert at this, but at least it should get me by when I don't have time for handquilting.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 AM

Did you lower your feed dogs?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:54 AM

It take a lot of practice. I try everyday to practice for 20 minutes. I have yet to try it on a real quilt. Have you thought about your brand of thread.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Sorry you are having such a hard time. I took an 8-week course for FMQ and we used the book "Machine Quilting Made Easy" by Maureen Noble. She has lots of exercises in the book and they certainly help you figure out your machine. All I can say is give it a try and use 12-15" pieces for practice. That way you can focus on the technique NOT the quilt.

I started using a vinyl sheet on the machine to help cut down static build-up. It is worth the expense to me.

Good luck.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sneed
Recently, I think I solved this problem by purchasing a Brother PQ1500s for $800 that I will use solely for FMQing. My Viking QD that I love just would not allow decent FMQ no matter what needle, thread, or technique I tried. So, after looking at Sweet Sixteens and long arms I decided on the Brother.

I just won't be doing enough FMQ to warrant spending over $4000. This way I can use the Viking to piece and the Brother to FMQ. I had the dealer set the tension for my quilt sandwich thickness, etc and hope that this will solve my problem. I don't have any great expectations of becoming an expert at this, but at least it should get me by when I don't have time for handquilting.
Sounds like what I do! I love the Brother 1500S - it does a great job of quilting, straight and FMQ.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:00 AM

I have a Janome and have had the same problem. I now have a single hole needle plate and drop your feed dogs. Make sure you have a quilting needle in your machine. I wear machinger gloves. All of these things make little differences that seem to add up to better FMQ. The is also a mat you can put in your machine bed that is supposed to make it easier to slide your quilt. I haven't tried one yet but was told they are helpful. I recently saw one on the Jinny Beyer site.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Banned

1. Be absolutely sure that your feed dogs are down.

2. Wear Machingers gloves.

3. Use a quilting foot (also called a hopping foot, with a spring in it. Never even think about using a walking foot--not the right thing at all for FMQ.

4. Make many, many practice sandwiches.

5. Be sure your quilt isn't creating drag by hanging down from your machine. The weight of it has to be supported on a table or some other support so it can move around as you sew.

6. Make sure your machine bed is as clean and slippery as you can make it--silicone spray, sometimes just something like Pledge (be sure to wipe off every last drop of this).

7. BE SURE to bring up your bobbin thread through all the layers of your practice sandwich or your quilt and hold the bobbin thread and upper thread (about 7 or 8 inches) in one hand, behind the needle. which will keep your tension right as you begin to sew. This is a VERY important step that I finally learned from an expert.

Good luck as you learn--loads of good tips here!
Old 05-22-2011, 09:07 AM

I know it takes practice. I still can not do FMQ and I guess that is why I only do wallhangings which looks fine. I took a class (years ago) and did samples but I never really practiced. I should go back to it now that I have retired, maybe I will. As has been said, practice, practice, practice, and you will get there. Start small.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Banned

Oh, and one more thing--be sure your stitch length is set at zero. Very important also. It's very easy to forget to do all these steps--no wonder it's hard to learn.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 AM

i agree with the people who say take it to your janome dealer or lqs and get someone to help you...there are also, in some areas and lqs, beginning fmq classes....please do not give up...keep trying....good luck!!!! gina