Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone tried this pattern? >

Has anyone tried this pattern?

Has anyone tried this pattern?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 AM
MTS
Banned

There is nothing to figure out:

The pattern very kindly provides all the foundations needed.

There is a grid of the 36 different blocks.

Each foundation is clearly labeled, numbered, and even shaded for fabric placement.

Some blocks have more than one foundation...yes, there might be a slight curve in it, but there is only ONE way to fit them together.

Seam allowances are not included - make sure the outside logs on each block section extend 1/4" past the edge of the foundation.

The pieces are all mostly straight with the exception of the outer logs of the curved pieces and some of the smaller sections.
Put an oversized piece on and trim to 1/4" past the edge of the foundation.
For the smaller sections, cut a scrap on the bias if you want. The seam is so short that gently bending into shape will work just as well.

When you sew some of the blocks together, there will be slight curve.

Some blocks are mirror images - which is clearly visible from the fist picture.

You can enlarge (or reduce) the size of the blocks as long your consistent with ALL the blocks.

Work slowly, keep yourself organized!!! and it's really a very easy quilt.

Always refer back to the main drawing for orientation.

My suggestion would be to make all the blocks, and then put them together into 4 quadrants.
That way you'll be working with smaller sections while piecing the curves.
Once you have the blocks sewn into the four quadrants, it's just a big four patch with straight seams.

I was amazed and impressed at how many people SUCCESSFULLY used Candlequilter's Star block as their initiation to paper piecing.

This is just bigger with more pieces, but not really any harder.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:13 AM

Wow!!! I LOVE that quilt!!! How do I get directions for a newbie - in English??? Virg
Old 09-07-2011, 06:26 AM

Hi! I LOVE IT! i'm not pregnat, but is gorgeus!
I would try some of the smaller pieces of the foundation to see how it would go.
I like MTS ... lot of work ... but not so complicated, just accuracy.
Congratulations on your pregnancy!
Good luck if you try!
A big hug!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:26 AM

[quote=MTS]There is nothing to figure out

Once again,MTS, you have cut through all the --------- (fill in the blank) and gotten right to the meat of the matter. Your explanation is spot on. Thank you. But would you care to elaborate on the color angle you spoke of in your first post. I'd be interested in your thoughts on that. Thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 06:31 AM

tried to get on the site, but my McAfee said "Whoa".
Old 09-07-2011, 06:35 AM

OMG LOLOLOL I can't stop laughing!!!!!
Originally Posted by QM
I wandered through a lot of pix there, with no idea which one you meant. The op art one looks great but IMHO it does not fit my personal view of a baby quilt as I think one might become upset seeing a quilt of this complexity subject to the 3 P's (Piss, poop, puke), dragged around on the floor and chewed upon. My personal view of baby quilts involves things that are colorful, very sturdy, have designs that lead to lots of talking at the toddler stage and, of course, are very washable.

Since you asked, I would suggest making that quilt for YOU and a different one for the baby you have in mind.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:42 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Stacey
But would you care to elaborate on the color angle you spoke of in your first post. I'd be interested in your thoughts on that. Thanks
The funny thing is I am HUGE fan of the black/ white/fuchsia combo but I really hate doing things in colorways that have already been done. Maybe I'd do lime green.

But I think you were refereing to my "crater" reference?

If you look at the overall shapes in the final design, it's really basically ust a circle on a square. But from the same vantage point, it could just as easily be concave instead of convex.

I really haven't had time to play with colors but maybe if the circle were darker than the square, then the effect would be reversed. Or - hmmm - split between cooler and warmer colors, since one recedes and the other approaches.

If one doesn't have access to a graphics program, it's enough to print out the picture in really light grey scale (or the reverse side of the printout) and use colored pencils pencils to play with different options. I'll try to post some examples later.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by crkathleen
Maksi posted this link back in Nov 09. (I've had it in my bookmarks ever since) I'm so tempted to try it for a baby quilt. I would love to see finished quilts! :)
http://www.lerusisik.narod.ru/images...tedpattern.pdf
Thanks!!
This is what I got when I clicked on the link, don't know what happened but tried it twice and got the same thing.

Поиск Почта Календарь Деньги Мой Круг Фотки Народ Открытки ещё▼
Авто
Афиша
Блоги
Видео
Картинки
Карты
Каталог
Маркет
Новости
Погода
Расписания
Словари
Телепрограмма
Я.ру
Программы
Все сервисы

народ Войти
Помощь

Скачать файл
Вы скачиваете файл с сайта http://www.lerusisik.narod.ru, размещённого на сервисе бесплатного хостинга Narod.ru

Чтобы скачать запрашиваемый вами файл, нажмите на ссылку: http://www.lerusisik.narod.ru/images...tedpattern.pdf

Установить Яндекс.Бар — панель инструментов для браузера с быстрым поиском и актуальной информацией о новых письмах, погоде, пробках.
Установить Яндекс.Бар — панель инструментов для браузера с быстрым поиском и актуальной информацией о новых письмах, погоде, пробках.

Хотите скачивать файлы еще быстрее?
Установите Firefox или Internet Explorer c новым Яндекс.Баром, и вам не понадобится вводить контрольные цифры.

Компания «Яндекс», владелец бесплатного хостинга Narod.ru, никак не связана с авторами и содержанием этого файла (см. Пользовательское Соглашение). Оценка возможного риска , связанного с безопасностью загрузки данного файла, ложится на вас. Будьте внимательны!
Есть, чем поделиться?
Свои файлы можно закачать на главной странице сервиса.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by Stacey
But would you care to elaborate on the color angle you spoke of in your first post. I'd be interested in your thoughts on that. Thanks
The funny thing is I am HUGE fan of the black/ white/fuchsia combo but I really hate doing things in colorways that have already been done. Maybe I'd do lime green.

But I think you were refereing to my "crater" reference?

If you look at the overall shapes in the final design, it's really basically ust a circle on a square. But from the same vantage point, it could just as easily be concave instead of convex.

I really haven't had time to play with colors but maybe if the circle were darker than the square, then the effect would be reversed. Or - hmmm - split between cooler and warmer colors, since one recedes and the other approaches.

If one doesn't have access to a graphics program, it's enough to print out the picture in really light grey scale (or the reverse side of the printout) and use colored pencils pencils to play with different options. I'll try to post some examples later.
I think the reason it comes out at you is that the squares get bigger as they approach the center. Changing colors probably wouldn't alter the perspective.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:54 AM

Whoa that is one weird pattern. Nope, haven't tried it and I'm sure I never would. Looks really hard.