Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pets and Quilts - What do you do? >

Pets and Quilts - What do you do?

Pets and Quilts - What do you do?

Old 12-31-2011, 09:24 AM

We have two cats that feel the entire house is theirs (and, of course, it is). They love my quilts - and most days and early evenings, they love the underside where they burrow for a short catnap before the bed is unmade and we go to bed for the evening. I keep quilt throws (I make special sizes) on my couches and chairs to keep as much cat hair out of the chair as possible, but they love to burrow under those as well. It sort of defeats the purpose. I have two or three older quilts made by my mother - hand quilted, hand appliqued, etc that I simply don't put on the beds because of the cats, but I have a quilt ladder that I can display them. I agree, if the quilt is worn out from loving use, it's enough reason to make another.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:40 AM

Our cocker spaniel sleeps on a machine appliqued quilt for 26 years and all it needs is frequent washing. I make my quilts to be used. It needs to be replaced as it is fading but it is solid.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:49 AM

I keep an old sheet over my bed, for them to lounge on.<o></o>
It has been so cold here for the past few years, and I turned my heat down to cut cost, doubled my clothes. But the floor is cold and small pets get cold. I want them to have a warm place to go, after the potty trip.<o></o>
I put a heating pad under their beds to keep them warm and they love it. I was only turning one side of my electric blanket on at night. Till I got tired of them sleeping on me! So I started turning both side on at night, now they sleep close not on top. <o></o>
Old 12-31-2011, 12:25 PM

I have 4 cats anf 2 Corgis that allow us, me and daughter, to live here. They all sleep on the beds although the cats on mine and dogs on Amy's who knows why. I have found that my quilts wash well, muddy paws and a 'skunking' will attest to that and should one of the cats miss the litter box and use the bed the best thing in the world is lemon juice. Put about a cup or so in the wash water and it takes away the odor. More of the mud is frequently from Amy's jeans after she has been in the barn and they, along with quilts, get the liquid detergent on the spots and perhaps a bit of hand scrubbing and all is well.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:49 PM

Our pets are not allowed on the bed, but my fawn pug loves to get up on the sofa to nap, so in self defense I purchased a thrift store quilt and made it a throw to keep down the dog hair since she sheds tons every day. I have to wash it about once a week, and although I see a little fading, for the most part it is doing well. I think our quilts are stronger than you think, I have 2 that my grandmother gave me in the 70's (you do the math) and a few squares are now shredded, but her quilts were from scraps and recycled clothing, and the squares that are shredded are the recycled clothing. She did simple patterns and hand quilted everything, and those quilts have had quite a few beach trips with my youngest son when he used to go surfing and took them. (I didn't know at the time till some surf wax got on one and I had to remove it. What a job that was.!!) The way I see it these days my pets are like 2 more children and they share what we have.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Dee

Share your so so quilts with pets on the bed. When they pass you wish you would of let them enjoy your quilts. I did with my little Kokoa and now she is gone and I never regreted it.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Homemother View Post
Hi Everyone - I really want to make a full sized quilt for my bed but I am wondering what your experience is when it comes to having pets on your bed. Our dog sleeps on our bed at night as well as her daily naps. My husband romps with her at least once a week there, too.

Can anyone tell me how well your quilts hold up when a pet is allowed on the bed? FYI - kicking her off is no option. She's been there for the last 7 1/2 years and we're not interested in changing that.

Thanks for your advice!
I put an old sheet on the bed the dogs and I sleep on. It comes off when I want the room to be showy. I bought king sized sheets for the beds the cats who adopted me--abandoned by someone and the cats, obviously litter mates, came to my door asking for help have appropriated. Everything can be washed and the quilts I care about are safe. froggyintexas
Old 12-31-2011, 04:50 PM

I have a quilt I made from the fabric that was my Grandma's. It's just 4 inch squares sewn together and it's tied...not quilted. I've washed it probably 50 times and it's handled all of that along with 2 dogs (medium size dogs) and a cat on it. I wouldn't put a family heirloom on my bed, or one I didn't want damaged, because you never know what could happen.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:55 PM

I've found that a doggie quilt made of corduroy holds up better for the dogs. My fur baby has taken over the sofa and sometimes her nails will make a hold she then widens but the corduroy holds up to her nails.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
I don't know about dogs, but I have enough cat fur that my kids think I can use it for batting! ROFL My cats sleep with us every night and they do play 'pounce on the toes' but that is it, nothing that would harm a quilt other than to cover it in fur.

Gota love the little furry ones
ditto!!!!! 2 cats 1 doxie.....