Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pets and Quilts - What do you do? >

Pets and Quilts - What do you do?

Pets and Quilts - What do you do?

Old 12-31-2011, 05:29 PM

I put my quilts on the bed.......then I cover the bed with a sheet....for the animals to lay on. I know...then you can't see the quilt.....but I enjoy sleeping under it.....I know it's there.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:42 PM

I have two small dogs that sleep with me and we all get along LOL However I put a older flannel blanket on the other side of my king bed so they are very comfortable and its easy to wash. This saves my quilts. When my son visits they bring the St Bernard and I take my hand applique off the bed and put on a store bought type. I have had damage from the dogs nails before and had to repair. This keeps peace in all the family. Enjoy your dogs for the short time you have them.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:47 PM

My humble opinion - my Boxer and 2 kitties are part of my family, yes they sleep where they want. I have 2 quilts that I've used on my bed for 6-7 yrs and the pets have laid on them - they launder just fine... I wouldn't think of not letting them lay on my bed. My kitties do lay on a fleece blanket when they nap there... I would definitely say YES, let them lay there and you enjoy the quilts too. You can always make another quilt. Pets like pretties too...
Old 12-31-2011, 07:26 PM

My little Coco, she has been on mine for 10 years and I would never think of putting her off,and my quilts are fine.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:26 PM

Abby the Labby sleeps on my bed as have all my previous doggies -- thus quilts must be washable -- most quilts have held up well with a few needing a little repair from the long, sharp doggy claws -- lately I have been putting a fleece blanket over the end and middle of my bed to protect my quilt from claws and dirt -- also Abby loves soft things!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:33 PM

We have a small dog. He sleeps on our bed and the current quilt on our bed I made about 15 years ago. I am in the process of making another one, not because it is damaged but because I need a change! LOL My DH and our dog rough house all over that quilt in the morning with "morning loves and rubs". The dog is 12 years old and sleeps on the end of the bed! I agree...fun and loving is more important, if the quilt fails it is always fun to make another one! Enjoy!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:39 PM

We have a big dog, Maddie is an 86 pound white lab and she loves our bed to nap on even though she isn't supposed to be in there. She would destroy a quilt easily just from her weight and nails. I have an older quilt that I will put on the bed with the back up so she can get on, but usually I just keep the door shut. I would not put a nice/new quilt for her to sleep on as it wouldn't last.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:58 PM

My son has a new game he plays with our puppy. He covers up with the Burgoyne Surrounded quilt I made for our couch and lets the pup scratch and claw his way until he finds him. I cringed at first but after weeks of this abuse there's still no damage at all ( I check).I used quilt shop quality fabric and did my own FMQ. I figured that it's worth it to watch the two enjoy each other so much. So even if something does happen to it, I have hundreds of quilts I'd still like to make. No big deal for me even though it's a lovely, lovely quilt.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:49 PM

I have quilts on all our beds. The one in the master bedroom is hand quilted by my late MIL. It has been on that bed for years. And to date it is still fine and looking like it did when hubby brought it home. And my pups have been on it, sleep on it, play on it, and it holds up just fine.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:19 AM

I have two dogs that sleep with us. I used a larger seam allowance incase I need to make repairs.I also use darker colors more than light. I used a good quality batting, and have had no issues. Good luck.