Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one getting nothing done? >

Am I the only one getting nothing done?

Am I the only one getting nothing done?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 PM

Nope....haven't done any sewing either. I guess its just break time. Was hoping to sew a quilt with pictures of a trip to Utah on it for my sister's birthday in March (she took the trip with me) and just can not get started! Maybe it will have to be a Christmas gift.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:35 PM

No, you are not alone. I have been trying to make a bargello heart cancer quilt for my dear cousin, the strips are sewed together but the cutting is not yet done. Very confused on the size to cut, re-read the instructions 10 times and I am not getting it. Need to put this down and rethink the pattern.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 PM

No your not alone I've started a couple of projects but I just can't make me get moving on the things I really need to do. We just came back from our son's two wks away and I guess I'm just to tired plus I have to go tomorrow to have a trigger finger release and won't be able to do much for the next couple of wks so maybe that's why I feel so lost on projects. Hang in there it'll get better sounds like your not alone there's a bunch of us. Sue
Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 PM

Seems like a lot of us have the same problem. Every morning I think I AM GOING TO DO SOME QUILTING today, but somehow I never get around to it.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 PM

not necessarily considering it a slump, but a loss of what to do next....I have a 3/4 finished baby blanket, a 1/2 completed "turning twenty" quilt blocks to finish and want to start a "tumbling blocks" quilt for my son's birthday in April..... I definitely need to get motivated.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 PM

I think winter and the let down after the Christmas rush hit most of us at some time or another. Also, retirement is a big change. Maybe this would be a good time to look through quilt books and magazines for inspiration for projects you want to do in the spring after you retire. Give yourself some time. You can't force creativity.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 PM

I feel almost the same way you do. I have done very little quilting since the holidays. I tell myself almost every day that tomorrow I'm going to start a quilt, however, I just can't get myself motivated to do more that pile the fabric on my dining room table. Help, I turning into a couch potato and the dust bunnies are taking over my house ....
Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 PM

I think it is some left over holiday stress, January/February blahs, and just facing your new world. I retired 5 years ago, was very leary at first, but found out retirement is just wonderful - you will love it, and be so busy. But there is nothing wrong with a bit of couch-sitting to sort of regroup yourself. When the sun starts shining again, it will get easier to sew. I'm only accomplishing about an hour a day of sewing also, seems I'd rather be lazy a little longer! Happy retirement to you!
Old 02-10-2012, 01:56 AM

I too am having a slump. I'm trying to finish the 3rd wolf wall hanging for our son & will be SO glad to see them out my door!! I tried making baby burp cloths so I could practice my FMQ & am trying to get those in the mail, and I have started a white table runner with 3 shades of denim colored fabrics for flowers and vines appliqued on it. I feel like I've been spinning my wheels with all of it! Some days I don't work on anything because I just can't get going. I hope it gets better fast for all of us. I have a whopper of a family size & need to get next Christmas going!
Old 02-10-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
Hi All: I'm in a terrible quilting slump. Basically the only quilting getting done is me hanging out on the QB. Was completely burned out making Christmas gifts so I took a little vaca.

Don't force it, accept where you are at and look at it as an extended holiday. Continually trying to do something when your heart isn't in it will just frustrate you even more. Christmas wasn't all that long ago so forcing yourself to sew for 30 mins a day isn't necessary IMHO just yet. Concentrate on what your doing now and the upcoming retirement.

oops! did I say retirement? whats that? I am sure I am busier now than I was when I worked full time?

Maybe1day

Last edited by Maybe1day; 02-10-2012 at 02:51 PM.