Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your sewing room always stay cluttered? >

Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:51 AM

The short answer is yes. I consider my work room just that, it is a room for working in, with several projects in process at any one time. Is there organization?... of course. If it did not have some level or organization, I would have to keep buying notions, fabric, cutting tools etc. But is it squeaky clean and neat all of the time? No, I am working in it. If you clean periodically and return tools, notions and fabrics to their places then that is enough.

I think you are on a good path to de-clutter by getting rid of what you don't use, magazines, excess fabric and so on. But do not be too harsh on yourself if your room is not picture perfect. Remember many of the photos on this site show beautiful rooms that have just be redesigned, re-organized or simply new rooms. Three cheers for those rooms but those same rooms at the end of a busy day may not look quite so perfectly clean and organized because they have again returned to "work rooms". Smile you are making progress!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 AM

Rhonda...what a great thought! My sewing room has it's ups and downs but it's my space which I thoroughly enjoy every day. My space is small and I always have more than one project going so I'm forced to keep it somewhat picked up. So far, I haven't lost anything for very long!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:54 AM

Mine is always a disaster area sometimes worse than others. I have been going through and giving things away in order to try and regain some control no luck yet. I have been coming up with more ideas on how to put things away but will have to see how things go. I encourage you to keep trying and sew, sew, sew. The more projects that get done the more room one day we will have. It's a Dream anyway and I always told my children if you can dream it, then it will happen.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 AM

I stopped collecting magazines and have donated all of mine to a local thrift store. That gave me several shelves for more storage, besides, I can get all the patterns/ideas online and from my QB friends - get rid of them, it'll give you a little more room. Also, if you take the time to fold and sort your fabrics and 'show' them you'll be (I am anyway) more likely to keep them neat. I thought about going the storage tub way, but I decided to do all IKEA shelving and have all my fabrics folded, sorted and on comic boards as a quilt store would show them. My FQ's are on a tall IKEA cd rack that matches the shelves. Only my 'scraps' are in small, clear plastic shoeboxes sorted by color. Now I go into my room and enjoy the view. It's not easy keeping it all neat and tidy, but it sure is worth the effort!
I'm not saying it's always this neat, because when I'm on a roll, well, you all know - our sewing rooms can look like the aftermath of a major hurricane! But when I'm between projects or just feeling uncomfortable with the mess, I do take the time to neaten things up. I often just don't feel like I can be productive when I'm surrounded by the chaos!

Last edited by Debbie C; 07-24-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
I try to keep my room organized...doesn't always happen though...especially when I'm creating! I do clean it up after every project is completed and I've started either cutting my leftover fabrics into sizes I use or put them in a bag for my girlfriend that saves every scrap she can get her hands on . My room is our formal living room...and it's still not big enough...I'm branching out into our 4th bedroom.
Me too! While I'm in the middle of the designing/piecing process, I have stuff everywhere. I put it all away after each project and pull it out again when I start the next. The biggest problem is planning the next project before the last is finished!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:49 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
The short answer is yes. I consider my work room just that, it is a room for working in, with several projects in process at any one time. Is there organization?... of course. If it did not have some level or organization, I would have to keep buying notions, fabric, cutting tools etc. But is it squeaky clean and neat all of the time? No, I am working in it. If you clean periodically and return tools, notions and fabrics to their places then that is enough.

I think you are on a good path to de-clutter by getting rid of what you don't use, magazines, excess fabric and so on. But do not be too harsh on yourself if your room is not picture perfect. Remember many of the photos on this site show beautiful rooms that have just be redesigned, re-organized or simply new rooms. Three cheers for those rooms but those same rooms at the end of a busy day may not look quite so perfectly clean and organized because they have again returned to "work rooms". Smile you are making progress!
Well Said!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 AM

When I start a project, its pretty straight. I try to keep things organized for what I'm working on; but, somehow about half way through, things seem to be everywhere. I guess I am just creative, not a neat-nik
Old 07-24-2013, 10:26 AM

I clean everything up after completing a quilt and sometimes I have to put some things away just to make space to work, but that's life. I think just about everybody wants more room no matter how much room you have, it's the human condition. I also think the more room you have the more you buy, it takes longer to feel "full".
Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 PM

My dh moved me down to the basement and took the small bedroom as his computer room so I'd have more space...I'm just as cluttered in the basement as I was in the small bedroom. In the bedroom, I would stack up high, and in the basement I spread out and then stack

My dh is not happy, he thought by giving me more room I could stay organized. Something I need to work on.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:15 PM

jcrow that is a disease I have too, are we sister?