Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is my idea too selfish? >

Is my idea too selfish?

Is my idea too selfish?

Old 05-21-2014, 04:15 PM

It's not selfish at all. These are special squares from your Grandmother and she would want you to have them. Sounds like she was very special, and I'm so sorry for your loss. If you feel you need to compensate, make a quilt from your scraps and give it to charity.

Cricket
Old 05-21-2014, 04:47 PM

Are you kidding me? This is a no brainer. You lost your beloved grandmother - make quilts for you and your family and don't give it another thought. If you want, I'll send you scraps for charity quilts but please, don't use your grandmothers.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:00 PM

I would say, in this case, charity begins at home. Your Grandmother would love this idea.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:20 PM

I so agree, keep them to remember and honor her. I'm so sorry for your loss, special grandmas stay in our hearts forever. Enjoy the legacy and do t, for a minute, regret keeping them in the family.

Originally Posted by coloradosky View Post
Maybe there was a reason why your grandmother never mailed this last box to you. You would have probably already made the blocks into a donation quilt and passed it on; now, however, you have her last box and have this opportunity to make something for you to cherish and remember what a lovely person she was. IMHO I feel she would want you to keep these blocks for yourself and her loved ones.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Auntie V View Post
First I want to say that you are not being selfish. Make your quilt and the gifts for the others. Name your quilt Grandmother's Legacy and offer to teach any of the others how to quilt. Your Grandmother passed along her talent and love of quilting to you. Now it is your turn to pass that along to another generation. To me this is a way to use her last package to you and pass along what she has already passed along to you.
I totally agree
Old 05-22-2014, 06:53 AM

I think using the fabric to make remembrance quilts for the famiy is even better than giving it to charity. I know I love the quilt I made using one of my grandma's blocks is very precious to me, and I made it about 20 years ago. My grandma has been gone since 1968, but she is still close to me. I made quilts for my siblings too using her blocks, but they have all worn out.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:55 PM

I have a feeling she would feel the love for your wonderful idea! Go for it. all will be treasured
Old 05-22-2014, 06:34 PM

IMHO, you are not selfish, but you are sharing the gift of the love of fabrics and quilting that began generations ago in your family. That's terrific! If you really feel the need, make a charity quilt to donate in your Grandmother's name, but I think it's a wonderful idea for you to do something for your family with your grandmother's squaresl
Old 05-22-2014, 06:39 PM

You know, I lost my grandmother (who was an avid quilt-maker) in 1993, and my mother in 1998. I ended up with a lot of scraps in various colors, including some pink, some red, etc. Ironic that the pink from their stashes, matched exactly what I bought to make a Sunbonnet Sue baby quilt (machine applique) for my sister's youngest daughter who had a new baby. It was my first -- I worked on that quilt for many months, incorporating fabric from my grandmother's stash and my mother's stash. When I presented the quilt, my niece cried -- she was so touched because the fabric had come from three generations to the fourth generation! Those things mean a lot.

You are NOT being selfish at all! Make your lap quilts, use those scraps for yourself and your family. Enjoy those precious memories!

Jeanette
Old 05-22-2014, 06:45 PM

P.S. to my earlier post: I am very sorry for your loss! A friend once told me when she lost her mother,
"We don't cry for our loved one who is gone, we cry because we miss them so much." I think that is so true! Just keep your special memories alive! God Bless!

Jeanette