Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Home town quilt show - mini-tut for Quilt #10 @ post #76 >

Home town quilt show - mini-tut for Quilt #10 @ post #76

Home town quilt show - mini-tut for Quilt #10 @ post #76

Old 11-13-2014, 10:38 AM

thank you for sharing these beautiful quilts.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr View Post
#10 is pieced like a 9P. I haven't worked out the math on it yet, but a dark strip and white strip are sewn together that equals 4.5", the same as the squares, 4.5" to finish @ 12.5" block. I've seen this type quilt before. I think the squares must be 4.25" so that it comes out right. If no one finds the pattern or name, I'll be glad to work up a tut on it.

TFS all the nice pics of the quilts! We enjoyed this QS!!!
Let me be the 1st to request a Tutorial!!!! I really am a pattern dependent person and the tutorial would be so appreciated by me for certain. Thanks from a Rocky Mountain quilter to a Blue Ridge Mountains quilter :0)
Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
Let me be the 1st to request a Tutorial!!!! I really am a pattern dependent person and the tutorial would be so appreciated by me for certain. Thanks from a Rocky Mountain quilter to a Blue Ridge Mountains quilter :0)
Great!! I'll post a little mini-tut on this thread tomorrow (hopefully) or ASAP. I'm sure there are lots of quilters interested in this charming pattern! n2 (I wouldn't mind making this one myself!)
Old 11-14-2014, 08:35 AM
lbc

Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Beautiful quilts.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Nice quilts..Thanks for sharing...
Old 11-15-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr View Post
Great!! I'll post a little mini-tut on this thread tomorrow (hopefully) or ASAP. I'm sure there are lots of quilters interested in this charming pattern! n2 (I wouldn't mind making this one myself!)
I was out of town yesterday but did get to work on the tut today. Hope it's self-explanatory from the pics and specs. Please note that the # of rows is an estimate so the size of the finished quilt is an estimate also, but you would make the number of rows you'd like your quilt to finish at.

First I'll show a pic of how the blocks are set in the quilt along with supporting info. Let me know if there are questions and I'll be glad to try and answer. I call it "Mystery Quilt #10" since we don't know the name.
Attached Thumbnails block-placement-samples.jpg   block-.jpg   block-b.jpg   quilt-specs.jpg   quilt-specs-2.jpg  

Old 11-15-2014, 01:59 PM

For this quilt, you would alternate Block A blocks with B blocks. Block A is joined together like you would do a 9 Patch quilt block. The end strips attached to the B Block would form the completion of the block when alternated so deciding colors would best be done at the design wall first. In other words, it would be simpler to make all of your A blocks first and then decide the remaining colors for the top and bottom pieces of B blocks at the design wall as moving blocks around will become cumbersome.

The B block will come out at 12.25" but do NOT trim it back to 12. After sewn to the A block, it will finish at exactly 12" (the same size as A) for a final finish at 11.5". Ask me how I know!! I did a mock up of a block first to test my sample sizes so if it worked for me, it will work for you!

Have fun making your quilt and don't worry about the quilt police as they won't care what you do with it! It's yours so have fun with it!

Thanks for taking the time to use my pattern. Hope it turns out great for you! n2.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial, n2scraplvr. And thanks to #1piecemaker for the QS photos.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:03 AM

OMGoodness n2 you are amazing!!!!

I marvel at people/quilters like you that see how to make a block/blocks just by taking it apart visually THEN you can figure the math which results in a workable pattern!!!! Priceless!

Thank-you for taking the time to show those of us that want to replicate the pattern! I have many pastel scraps and I know once the holidays are over all the work with Fall colors and Christmas prints, Spring will be tugging at my heart strings and I will want something to work on that reminds me of warmer temperatures. :0) So thank-you, thank you so very much!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
OMGoodness n2 you are amazing!!!!

I marvel at people/quilters like you that see how to make a block/blocks just by taking it apart visually THEN you can figure the math which results in a workable pattern!!!! Priceless!

Thank-you for taking the time to show those of us that want to replicate the pattern! I have many pastel scraps and I know once the holidays are over all the work with Fall colors and Christmas prints, Spring will be tugging at my heart strings and I will want something to work on that reminds me of warmer temperatures. :0) So thank-you, thank you so very much!
Thank you so much, Onalee!!! I will contact #1 Piecemaker for approval in updating her thread and will post my thread in the Tutorial section also for others who may miss the mini-tut here.

Also, I will post some other sizes to make this pattern in the Tutorial section as I prefer a smaller block as others may also. I like the pattern in the fact that NO SQUARING UP IS NEEDED and you'll have very little waste left over if you do have to trim~!

Also, I just spotted a typo on Block B, it should read 'cut (2) 2.5" x 4.5" strips (not 8.5"), prints -- oops. I'll have a corrected version when I post in Tutorials.

The smaller block pattern I was thinking of doing will show off MED. SCALE PRINTS better and produce a prettier quilt! I will get the sizes worked up for the tut. If we would do it in a 'cut size 3.5" block to come out @ 9.5" would be just ideal!!

Large scale prints would be best used for the blocks in this tut, but for a more delicate looking quilt, a smaller block size would be needed. Hope this helps! Be looking for my tut with other sizes to make! Thanks again! n2