January Mini Quilt Swap

Old 01-04-2015, 04:47 PM

MMMMMMM Coconut!!! My favorite addiction!!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

My grandmother use to make the best coconut cake. She always used a lot of eggs, and beat up that type of frosting from egg whites and sugar. Then coated it all in coconut. Yummy!! She usually made her cakes with 3 layers. Those were the days. (not so good health wise I'm sure)
Old 01-04-2015, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
My grandmother use to make the best coconut cake. She always used a lot of eggs, and beat up that type of frosting from egg whites and sugar. Then coated it all in coconut. Yummy!! She usually made her cakes with 3 layers. Those were the days. (not so good health wise I'm sure)
Oh! but I miss those days! Homemade everything. Not boxed and full of preservatives etc. Funny how we all ate those things back then and didn't have weight problems. Now I don't eat anything like that and have a weight problem. UGH!
Old 01-05-2015, 05:34 AM

wait now... if we cant get coconut cake or French toast in the mail.. how about a mounds bar? I LOVE those but darned the are hard to get to before the man will snag them. He LOVES them too.. and is much faster than I am. darn it!

I pulled fabric yesterday but didn't get much farther. darn it! I remember I did not have Monday off but indeed have clinic this morning and well got all messed up with what must be done. so I turned off my machine (sigh) and got busy doing things that well didn't want to wait. (darned that microwave who keeps making a mess in there? oh wait its only me using the microwave.. how did that stuff get there? it wasn't there when I last used it? oh sure).
Old 01-05-2015, 06:56 AM

Mmm...
Coconut cake the way Nanny made it. Oh. I. Am. In. Hog Heaven..as we say around here..
My Nanny (grandma) did the 3 layer deal, too. Frosted with 7 minute frosting. Man, I'm salivating just reminiscing about it.. And her pineapple cakes...yum.. Not just the pineapple upside down, those were awesome as well. But she made one that was pineapple flavor, again 3 layers, and had the prettiest yellow frosting that had fresh pineapple tidbits in it. Perfect peaks in that frosting, too.
Mom and I were just talking about that cake the other day, and we cannot find Nanny's recipe . We've looked all through Nanny's recipe books, and I've done some online searches, but nothing so far seems like it's it. Sigh...
And her homemade cinnamon rolls.. homemade breads with fresh apricot, peach, or pear preserves.. Man I'm in sweet remembering heaven!!
Kif
Old 01-05-2015, 08:04 AM

I'm feeling my blood sugar spiking just reading your post, Kiffie!! I would absolutely LOVE your grandmother's coconut cake!!!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:12 AM

Unfortunately both of my grandmothers died when I was just a baby. I don't remember either of them. My mom was the baker but cookies where her specialty. In fact, the neighbor kids called her "cookie". She passed her love of baking down to me. I love baking anything especially if it is from scratch. I don't do too much of that because I'm the only one who eats it.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:21 AM

We had a latecomer...so now I playing too!!!!!

quiltjoey and I are now partners.

Welcome to our little swap <3
Old 01-05-2015, 01:20 PM

I have the top finished ready to quilt it,then I am making a little extra item! I'm having too much fun this month with valentines fabrics!
Old 01-05-2015, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Welcome aboard quiltjoey!