Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 11-22-2023, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the recommendations, Sewingpup. I have the (modern computerized) Bernina 820 which has a number of issues... My friend who gave it to me is still a Bernina fan -- me, not so much! I'm looking at options also considering that I want a standup long arm system so maybe don't need the throat space... Having no brand loyalty but know the features that I want and don't want/need like I don't feel the need for embroidery or garment construction features, I've been looking this last week at Janome options wit the 6650 or 6700 as contenders. Next week I'm going to look at some Juki options. I love a lot of the things modern machines have, but mostly I just want a good strong straight stitch!

Welcome aboard, Lostoaks! So glad you are excited and joining us AND getting the help/suggestions you need.

You will see us mention from time to time looking at grayscale or Black and White images, but they can help some of the struggles. There are different ways to achieve this -- some phones will have a grayscale or B&W option.

In real life I usually chose a medium fabric and say that my darks must be darker and my lights much be lighter than the medium tone. That can need some fine tuning -- especially problematic can be fabrics that are half and half, I find they can be very hard to use.

On the computer I can go to the default Microsoft Picture editor and use their options. I "edit picture"and then "apply filters". Here's a picture I posted earlier and what it looks like in B&W mode. In B&W you can see where some of the lighter blues were really too dark.

edit: I just double click on the picture from my directory, it goes into the editor automatically from there

At some point although the fiddling can go on forever, I just put some in/take some out and say "everyone in the pool" to what's left!
Attached Thumbnails 100_6436.jpg   blues-b-w-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-22-2023 at 07:24 AM. Reason: how to get to picture editor
Old 11-22-2023, 08:21 AM

Have been stalling on whether to participate. Traditional isn’t my style. For several years been doing easy charity quilts.

latest project is from a picture for a women’s restoration house-twin size. Actually enjoying the traditional piecing. It occupies my design wall.

But-the first weeks of BH don’t need design wall.

did last years BH quilt, fun to sew it with the group posting. Used 4 fabrics, not scrappy. Only complaint was the directions didn’t include option for bed quilt. It turned out square which isn’t very usable. Loved the design.

My holiday season timing is good for this type project. And my plans for travel were cancelled.

Can’t decide. Think I’ll shop stash. could do LQS shopping to be ready for Friday clue. Would like twin size.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:51 AM

I’m in. Have wide back in dark blue. Ordered fabric in blue, navy, oranges and white print. This time ordered extra as last time it used every inch.
Old 11-22-2023, 02:29 PM

Cheers to Petthefabric for joining in. I would agree that Bonnie's fabric estimates don't give a whole lot of extra fabric left over. Especially for people like me who don't/can't remove stitches and have to start over when they make mistakes... or (again people like me) who somehow make twice as many units as they are supposed to for a particular clue set... or people like me who do any number of other things during the course of the project!

And hooray for my friend Barb who gave me Cranky Bernie. Don't know if it the fix will hold but she told me how to just disengage the bobbin sensor from the control panel and it worked! So it won't tell me now if the bobbin is low, I can deal with that. For now I can sew, and when Bernie plays nice he is a nice machine. Well lit, quiet, fast, knee lift, threader and thread cutter are all great things.

I am so looking forward to Friday!!!
Old 11-22-2023, 02:49 PM

IceBlossom RE: " I love a lot of the things modern machines have, but mostly I just want a good strong straight stitch!"

I haven't stitch on a Janome other than my little Gem Gold. Which I did like but I missed some of the other features. However, I have stitched a fair amount on both Vikings and Bernina. One thing I have noticed on both of these brands is that I have like the models with the 5mm width of stitches with these machines (Viking D1, Bernina 440, 630, and now the 475). They all had a good straight 1/4 inch seam that was easy to achieve. On my Viking SE and the Bernina 570 and 590 they had a good straight stitch but a good 1/4 inch seam was not easy to achieve for me. What these machines all had was a 9 mm stitch width which meant that the right feed dog was not fully under the fabric when stitching in the center position. So I had to fiddle with it and move the needle position, switch out stich plates, get special feet. So that is why my 475 is now in my sewing cabinet to use for piecing and I love it. Again I haven't stitched on Janome. It looks like the two models you are looking at have the 9mm stitch width hence wider feed dogs. I would encourage you to try out a Janome with a 5 mm feed dog before deciding. I have noticed that Bernina at least seems to have noticed this and has begun to include 5 mm stitch width machines in the higher levels and label them as quilters machines. So my recommendation is to take some fabric with you and try stitching a 1/4 inch seam and a couple of triangles for good measure and compare the 5 mm stitch width machine to the 9 mm stitch width machine. (oh, I did hear a lot other people who struggle with 820, it had some bugs)

Last edited by sewingpup; 11-22-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 03:19 PM

For 1/4” seem on my Bernina with 9 mm, I change the needle position. The fabric stays on the feed dog.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
For 1/4” seem on my Bernina with 9 mm, I change the needle position. The fabric stays on the feed dog.
yep...that is what I ended up doing with my 590. I moved the needle over and used the regular foot. That is where I got the best stitches. While the 590 is a middle-sized machine, it is heavy so I would take the 475 with me also to classes or a quilt retreat as it is lighter and also, I got a rolling case with her.
Old 11-24-2023, 05:16 AM

It's here -- Part 1 of Indigo Way.

This link is for the PDF (printable) version.
https://quiltville.com/pdf/IndigoWay_PartOne.pdf

It's the same information/pictures if you click on this one -- but printable!
https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2023...-part-one.html

Remember that Bonnie asks us not to discuss numbers or sizes (including Accuquilt dies) so that if there is a mistake she is the one responsible. She has also added not showing pictures on our cutting mats that can show dimensions. I know it can be super annoying when you are having problems and just want one simple answer. We can always take things to private tells if really in a bind and I will help if I can.

Old 11-24-2023, 05:24 AM

I've got my fabric selected. I found enough dark blue in my stash so I'm going with the originial colors. Sure do love the bright red!
Attached Thumbnails selection.jpg  
Old 11-24-2023, 05:32 AM

MacyBaby -- I keep forgetting to correct myself about my grandparents, they were from North Dakota, not South in case you were wondering where the heck Dickinson is, the answer is not in your state!

We were able to go through South Dakota on our big discover America/scouting for new places trip last year. Our route took us past Devil's Tower in Wyoming, to Rapid City and we were able to visit Mt Rushmore, but the Crazy Horse memorial was too far out of our path. We did stop at the Dignity statue.
https://www.travelsouthdakota.com/tr...nity-earth-sky