Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Februaru Secret Pal Sign Up Closes Jan 30th 4PM >
  • Februaru Secret Pal Sign Up Closes Jan 30th 4PM

• Februaru Secret Pal Sign Up Closes Jan 30th 4PM

Old 02-18-2012, 10:10 AM

I posted that I had received my package from Marilyn in Ohio this week, but hadn't posted anything about it yet. I was a very luck girl let me tell you. It was an awesome package. She sent me many postcards from Mexico and Jamaica, and 1 from Colorado. She also makes fabric postcards and sent several of them. I got a stuffed heart which is very beautiful. Templates for circles and hearts in several sizes, a book, and English paper piecing templates in hexagon and diamonds. Several FQ's of lovely fabric and scraps of Fairy Frost which I just love. She also sent me a Victorian Lady hand embroidered on Fairy Frost and was embellished with beads and lace. I think that I will use that as a center panel for a quilt at some point. There was also a Snickers candy bar, but sadly it was unable to attend the photo session. She also sent a beautiful hand made card with heart on front.[ATTACH=CONFIG]313210[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]313211[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]313212[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]313213[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]313214[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]313215[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails feb-2012-swap-received-001.jpg   feb-2012-swap-received-002.jpg   feb-2012-swap-received-006.jpg   feb-2012-swap-received-005.jpg   feb-2012-swap-received-003.jpg  

feb-2012-swap-received-004.jpg  
    Old 02-18-2012, 10:14 AM

I hope my SP gets here package today. I am so bummed. I forgot to take a picture of the needle case that I made for her. I was the first one that I have made. Hopefully she will post a picture here. I'm not sure if she will as she doesn't seem to post on the board to much.
    Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
    Fabric prices going up again! Joann is having a sale this weekend and one of the stores nearby usually had tons of great fabrics in the red dot section. With the sale they were 50% off. Add to that another 20% for a veteran's discount! My husband and I decided to go to one particular store last night before the sale hoards cleaned them out. We were shocked that the red dot section looked like it was the end of the sale weekend. I managed to get a few things, but when I asked the lady at the cutting table about it, she said that they wouldn't be getting in as much as a direct result of rising fabric prices!
    Believe it or not, my husband turned to me and said, "Well, I'm glad you're a fabric hoarder."
    I'm so grateful for my stash, I actually started collecting fabric as I love fabric and fibers long before I started to piece fabric.

I wonder when the pricing will hit the ceiling. There will always be people who can afford to pay the price no matter....but I'm definitely not one of them one, because I can't afford to spend upwards of $12 per yard, and two even if I could I wouldn't.

I've chatted with many quilters at cutting tables and the general consensus is many quilters will be totally priced out of the art of quilt making if the prices continue to rise as predicted.

I would be a complete nervous wreck, beyond the shakes cutting fabric that cost's that much for fear I'd make a mistake in cutting! I still look for bargains mostly online as I don't do garage sales, nor are there many estate sales in this neck of the woods. However even eBay sellers, even the stash reducer sellers are asking big bucks these days.

I'm also fortunate to have an old fashioned five and dime store nearby ~ what they do have is the most incredible fabric department! Unbelievable name brands like Moda, Benartex etc....along with overstocks of flat folds from major names. Their everyday pricing on regular priced fabric from $8.99 - $12.98 fabric is less 25%. then every so often they will have it 35% off for a week ~ The big Kahuna is when they have it 40% off for a week. Flat folds, are regular $4.95 less the current percentages off so always at least 25% off. I rarely find flaws in the flat folds so hopefully they will still be able to give the discounts.

So I'm with you Krystyna it is so disconcerting to see even JoAnn's getting so high .... and it seems you have to be so careful when buying there or Hancock's that you really make sure it's a fabric with a good hand and then hold it up to the light to see if you could read a newspaper through it.
    Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 AM

OFF TOPIC ALERT: Did you all know that one of our own here on the board Geta is now a published author. Her book Shadow Trapunto Quilts just came out. I took some of my tax refund and bought a copy. It is a wonderful book and has 30 patterns in it and comes with a disc that has all the patterns on it. If you haven't seen any of her work yet check out her blog: http://www.cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.com/
    Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by arizonagirl
    I hope my SP gets here package today. I am so bummed. I forgot to take a picture of the needle case that I made for her. I was the first one that I have made. Hopefully she will post a picture here. I'm not sure if she will as she doesn't seem to post on the board to much.
    I sure hope she post's the picture too Robyn....however, we all know what beautiful work you do, I'm sure the needle case is just as lovely!
    Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
    Well, let's see if the photo thing works for me: here is my wonderful package from Onalee, Onaemtest

Wahoo, it only took me 3 hrs to figure it all out!
    I'm so pleased you are happy with the package you sleuth you....you figured out it was YOU with the hints I gave! LOL Don't forget to let me know if those chocolate twizzlers are any good! Just can't imagine, but anything almost with chocolate is improved!
    Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
    Fabric prices going up again! Joann is having a sale this weekend and one of the stores nearby usually had tons of great fabrics in the red dot section. With the sale they were 50% off. Add to that another 20% for a veteran's discount! My husband and I decided to go to one particular store last night before the sale hoards cleaned them out. We were shocked that the red dot section looked like it was the end of the sale weekend. I managed to get a few things, but when I asked the lady at the cutting table about it, she said that they wouldn't be getting in as much as a direct result of rising fabric prices!
    Believe it or not, my husband turned to me and said, "Well, I'm glad you're a fabric hoarder."
    Ahead of the gas prices, I suppose. It makes me sad to see our hobby getting so dang expensive. I'm glad I started hoarding too. I've also never been a crumb keeper, but heck, I'm going to be sewing them into little blocks and hanging on for scrappy stuff.

Great packages still coming in, btw!!
    Old 02-18-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest
    I sure hope she post's the picture too Robyn....however, we all know what beautiful work you do, I'm sure the needle case is just as lovely!
    Yes Robyn does beautiful work, She sent me the cutest wall hanging w/ a bird house and birds when I was her spal. I have bird houses in the kitchen of my shop, so it was perfect to hang up there.
    Old 02-18-2012, 12:04 PM
    Banned

I want to say THANK YOU (already sent a pm to both my sp & Lori)
    to brwn_eyedgirlfor my awesome sp gift.

She was my third and final sp and I truly was lucky this month (again)
    in that I got some outstanding homemade gifts.

Here are the pictures and descriptions of what I received.

picture #1
    Fabrics in some AWESOME colors, red, blue, green, orange, yellow, and
    purple.
    Bottom right item is a pocket calendar with a bible verse on it that my
    dad made me learn and recite in front of the church congregation at the
    ripe old age of SIX (yes 6 yrs old). It is Isaiah 40:31.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]313244[/ATTACH]

picture #2
    Box of Bigelow orange spice tea, homemade scrub pad, retractable tape
    measure that has a crochet cover around it, quilt labels that read "Quilted
    by Hand and By Heart", Safety thread cutter (below labels), thimble, note
    pad with homemade plastic canvas spool thread shape , and a pen.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]313246[/ATTACH]

Again Karen THANK YOU so much for the awesome things you sent to me.
    Attached Thumbnails dscn1384-small-.jpg   dscn1385-small-.jpg  
    Old 02-18-2012, 02:21 PM

Default Feb Sp Package

Look at all the neat stuff that i received from Nancy today!
    A beautiful fairy wind chime. I love wind chimes.
    I got a purple thing yahhh,some purple 5" squares some black and white squares. a great big piece of trycolor fabric.
    a pattern for applique sweat shirts, a rooster and hen pattern and an emboising pattern.some very pretty thank you cards. Azipper bag and some great footies!
    Thank you so much Nancy for everything!
    Attached Thumbnails 018.jpg   019.jpg   021.jpg   022.jpg