Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 02-01-2015, 11:51 PM

Judy, did I say I LOVE the stars in the sashing

Dotty and Gayle, love the way your constant reds create an obvious square around the stars

Frustratedquilter, glad to see that the complete stars work great, I'm planning to do the same.....

I'm planning a constant sashing and every star different. Now, I've heard of tennis elbow, and carpenters' thumb, but is there such a thing as "quilters' knee"? I spent ages last night crawling around my 'design floor' pinning the right star parts to the ends of th right bits of sashing so hopefully the stars match each other later, and my knee isn't too happy about it this morning
Old 02-02-2015, 06:31 AM

Frustrated quilter : wow. Now I want to go back & complete the stars! The green looks terrific.
We had snow so I'm inside working on my 3rd variation. And I tried another one of Judy's ideas. Cutting the center on the diagonal. This is for a pillow.
Attached Thumbnails touchdowns-001.jpg  
Old 02-02-2015, 07:00 AM

These are all looking fabulous! Dotty - that pillow is super.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:24 AM

I am loving all the different combinations everyone came up with.
Dotty, that pillow is going to be great! Love those fussy cut triangles.
After seeing some of the different versions, I am wishing I had done mine differently. I love the more controlled one with the same color around the stars. Also love the controlled sashing with the stars. IF I had done those, I would put a nice scrappy border around them. Oh well, too late (and too much work) to change mine now. Next time. And I like this pattern so much I think there will be another in my future!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:26 AM

really really wanted to have stars continue into the border,,,,but it would finish too wide...sigh....went to bed thinking about it and about midnight woke up with the solution.....two quilts, blocks set two by three and stars continuing into the borders...yea !!! picture a border completing the stars then a reads like solid 1 inch stopper border and then a final border of 4 inch by WOF scrappy border plotted out so no seams at corners. Fell back to sleep for 6 solid hours!!!!!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:30 AM

I received a PM about adding the completed point of the star into a border. I couldn't explain in words, so drew a quick sketch, but find I can't send a pix to a PM. So this is for Gayle. Hope it helps. Don't know if it will open.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
scan0002.pdf (234.6 KB, 206 views)
Old 02-02-2015, 07:36 AM

So much for technology. Took a pix of what I scanned and wil try again.

Oops - just saw that frustrated posted how to do this. Didn't mean to step on any toes.
Attached Thumbnails img_1818.jpg  

Last edited by paintmejudy; 02-02-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:03 AM

I love everyone's completed tops!!! I plan to make more blocks for a queen size. Can't wait to get started, but still thinking of a pieced border.
Thanks Judy for doing these mysteries for us. You give us a lot of your time. Love being able to use only my stash.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:12 AM

Finally home from the cruise and ready to get started on steps 2-4. Have a lot to catch up on first but will get started soon. I think I went into a sewing detox, can't wait to get the machine humming again!! We had a great time and it was fun being with my kids for this trip, looking forward to another one next year.
Like the looks of this mystery and all your quilts look fabulous, hope mine turns out as well. I'll post when I get caught up.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:25 AM

Judy you did not step on my toes it is your mystery and you can explain it better than me. Seems like a past mystery there was stars in the sashing and either you or maybe another rider on the train finished them in a similiar manner. I love all the shared ides I get here on the QB..