Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Oriental Hourglass - SWAP CLOSED >

Oriental Hourglass - SWAP CLOSED

Oriental Hourglass - SWAP CLOSED

Old 03-18-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by pattis47
WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE REMOVE ALL THE WRONG MEASUREMENTS AND DESCRIPTIONS OF HOW TO CUT THIS PATTERN. I HAVE JUST WASTED 45.00 WORTH OF MATERIAL CUTTING IT WRONG.

Originally Posted by mom-6
Ok when I drew the block out in EQ it said the center black square would be 4-3/4". The 8 color B triangles would be cut from 4 squares @ 3-7/8". The 4 large color C triangles would be cut from 7-3/16" squares. The 12 color D (lightest)triangles would be cut from 6 squares @ 3-7/8".
Hope this helps!
Here is the link Debbie did it step by step and had all the measurements written down. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-102253-2.htm
Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 PM

unfortunately toooooo late to recut fabric into 6 1/2" squares once they have been cut into 4 /3/4" squares from Page 1...
but thanks for the help, just a little too late

Originally Posted by Crafty3790
Originally Posted by pattis47
WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE REMOVE ALL THE WRONG MEASUREMENTS AND DESCRIPTIONS OF HOW TO CUT THIS PATTERN. I HAVE JUST WASTED 45.00 WORTH OF MATERIAL CUTTING IT WRONG.

Originally Posted by mom-6
Ok when I drew the block out in EQ it said the center black square would be 4-3/4". The 8 color B triangles would be cut from 4 squares @ 3-7/8". The 4 large color C triangles would be cut from 7-3/16" squares. The 12 color D (lightest)triangles would be cut from 6 squares @ 3-7/8".
Hope this helps!
Here is the link Debbie did it step by step and had all the measurements written down. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-102253-2.htm
Old 03-18-2011, 05:16 PM

Sorry you said you needed the link can you use it for the original oriental swap? Then you can still get back oriental exchange. If not let me know we can do a personal exchange of cut squares I have many different oriental fabric I could exchange for your already cut blocks let me know.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:43 PM

I feel so bad about this. I am probably as sick about this as patti. On the first page, I did a mistake of saying cut 3-1/3 x 6-1/2 rectangle instead of 3-1/2. Now, I am not sure how much this will make the block off. But, patti said she had cut the first center block 4-3/4 - I knew those were not my measurements. I did the block pic by pic, cutting the correct squares, and showed each step with the appropriate squares. Mine are 12.5 x 12.5 as I also moved my needle just a bit to the right for that (dreaded) scant 1/4 seam. Just so no one else has the frustrating, and angry ended experience, I am going to eliminate the first measurements on the first page. If you haven't made your block yet, please make sure that you use the pic by pic instructions on page 2. Patti, I am so upset about what happened to you. I know it doesn't make up for what you already spent on fabric when everyone is on a budget. Please let me know what I can do to make this up to you.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:20 PM

The GOLDEN RULE should be READ TWICE... MEASURE TWICE... CUT ONCE... I read the wrong measurements and cut all my fabric at once -> This is something I never do! I always make a trial block to be sure everything is ok. It is my own fault, I know better. Rest assured, it will never happen again. Lesson learned. This might be enough to make me go out and buy some Chocolate Marshmallo Ice Cream.....lol of thank goodness for Lent.

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I feel so bad about this. I am probably as sick about this as patti. On the first page, I did a mistake of saying cut 3-1/3 x 6-1/2 rectangle instead of 3-1/2. Now, I am not sure how much this will make the block off. But, patti said she had cut the first center block 4-3/4 - I knew those were not my measurements. I did the block pic by pic, cutting the correct squares, and showed each step with the appropriate squares. Mine are 12.5 x 12.5 as I also moved my needle just a bit to the right for that (dreaded) scant 1/4 seam. Just so no one else has the frustrating, and angry ended experience, I am going to eliminate the first measurements on the first page. If you haven't made your block yet, please make sure that you use the pic by pic instructions on page 2. Patti, I am so upset about what happened to you. I know it doesn't make up for what you already spent on fabric when everyone is on a budget. Please let me know what I can do to make this up to you.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:09 PM

That means Patti will be coming into the shop again tomorrow. Yea! Sorry you cut wrong, Patti, but I'll be glad to see you again.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 PM

The block can actually be done both ways. It just requires different methods of putting it together depending on which measurements you use.

Sorry this created confusion!!!

Pattis47 - I will PM you the instructions for sewing together the block using the measurents I posted.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:00 PM

I PM'd Pattis47 instructions for sewing the block together using the measurements I came up with in EQ. If anyone else needs them as well I'll be glad to share with them as well.

Figured I'd caused enough confusion already so did not post it here!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:09 PM

I sincerely apologize for any confusion with this block. I am thrilled with the blocks I have received and still think the quilts will be stunning when all put together. When patti buys her marshmallow ice cream, I will be behind her in line for my mint chocolate chip, and a bottle of Bailey's.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 PM

And I'll have to choose between the mint chocolate chip and butter pecan. Maybe I'll just have both! Nah, better not.