Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it time to call it quits? >

Is it time to call it quits?

Is it time to call it quits?

Old 06-20-2011, 05:07 AM

Don't give up, see if your LQS has a class. I was also very fustrated but I took a class and it really helped. One day it will work out and you'll be glad you stuck with it. How about the AccuQuilt Go they are fun, fast and accurate. I love mine.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:08 AM

just walk away for a while and do something else, then when you come back to it - it will just fall into place. We've all hit those hard spots but don't let it discourage you
Old 06-20-2011, 05:18 AM
elm

Your problem probably has nothing to do with math or with your ability to quilt. If you are doing this from a book or from online instructions without ever having any sewing experience or any lessons, it may be the basics or learning how to cut fabric that you need. I know that I certainly did. also you may be ironing not pressing and this can stretch the fabric. See if there are any local beginner quilting classes or an experienced local quilter who can work with you. Good luck. Don't give up.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:20 AM

Hi SharBear,
After reading all these posts plus your second one, I just wanted to say I am so glad you didn't quit and de-stash...heaven forbid! Glad you are still with us. I admire anyone who is a 'math' person. I found I have needed it so much many times in quilting and thankfully I have a DH who is a math person. Send us an update on what you are doing and remember the nice words from a previous psot...the view fromt he top is still the same. Best wishes to you for many years of happy quilting!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 AM

Please don't give up. I started quilting a year ago because someone told me I wasn't detailed enough to quilt. So my first quilt was a disappearing nine patch. Missouri Star Quilt co. has a great tutorial on how to make this quilt. No points or seams to line up! I was pleased with the results so thought I'd try another one. Eight quilts later I still learn something new with every quilts I make and learn how to fix my mistakes on the next one. Of course I take my quilts to work and show the person who told me I couldn't do it. Hang in there. There is no such thing as a perfect quilt! Do check out the Missouri Star web site. she has awesome tuts and is very clear on her explanations for both beginners and beyond. Just have fun with your projects!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:36 AM

Don't give up!!. I have been sewing for more than 40 years but all of that time I did garments and home decor projects. I am pretty good at those, if I say so myself. But, along comes quilting and I have some of the same issues you are having with points and seams matching. Practice, Practice, and give yourself permission to not be perfect every time. It will get better. By the way, I love the Paper Piecing because it makes a beautiful block and the points match!!.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 AM

All of the suggestions posted so far have been great, and a help to me too! I would not give up - it would make me want to be even more up to the challenge! You can do it! I am finding out that the rotary cutting is a lot of practice and patience! It is not my favorite thing about quilting but I seem to be finding out that I need to keep practicing. I got some sandpaper backing dots for my ruler and that helps me a lot. I also struggle with piecing the blocks together to make them aligned properly. I try to keep practicing. It's fun seeing all the colors and prints come together! In between the machine type of quilting, I love hand quilting. Please don't give up or you will be more frustrated that you did. Hang in there!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:04 AM

If I get in your situation I just walk out of my sewing suite and close the door (sometimes I even lock it) and wait a day or two and then go back completely fresh and try again and almost always it works. If it doesn't I put whatever is not working and try a small little project and then go back to it. Good Luck! Never, never give up!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:08 AM

I have been quilting for many years and each quilt I make is an improvement over the past. Although mathmatics are important, so is starting at the basic skill level and finding help when you need it (before you feel ready to throw in the towel). You local quilt shop or your local quilt guild will have experts who can guide and help you achieve your goals. Good Luck, I believe with your persistence, you will be successful!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:15 AM

I agree with everyone so far.... Don't quit. You need to work on some easy stuff... build confidence... find out those shortcuts experienced quilters use by taking some classes or joining a quilt guild.

I learned a TON when I took a beginner class with my nephew. We went so he could get some lessons and I ended up learning many, many new techniques that have made my quilting much better.

And - evey quilt I make gets better and better.