Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it time to call it quits? >

Is it time to call it quits?

Is it time to call it quits?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM

There are a few things I have told the ladies I am teaching to quilt.
1. Have fun.
2. When you are cutting your material make sure you are moving your hand up the ruler to keep pressure on it so it doesn't shift.
3. When you get ready to sew. I take my ruler and put it under the needle. Lower the needle down where it is just touching the top of the ruler on the 1/4 inch mark. Than I take a stack of post it notes and line it up with the edge of the ruler. That way they know exactly where the 1/4 inch mark is. It helps them.
4. Always set your seam closed with the iron. Than open your pieces and press the seam from the inside to the side you are going to send the seam allowance to. Some open their seams other go to the dark.
But always check you sizes. of each of the pieces when you sew. Also keep checking your seam allowance occasionally. Some times it will shift on you. One good thing to have is a good 1/4 inch quilting foot which a lot of machines now have.
Hope this helps.
Quilty Hugs.
Ann in Indiana
Old 06-21-2011, 04:14 AM

I have been there too!!
Just keep trying and it will get better. I just made a disasterous mess cutting out the pieces for a Irish Chain, one of the easiest quits to make. I changed rulers and am now getting it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good-luck and do watch Elenor Burns!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:41 AM

Check your seam allowance to ensure it is 1/4". Make sure you aren't holding your rotary cutter at an angle when cutting.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:07 AM

I agree with what has been said and of course most of us have been where you are. I haven't read all the entries but I agree with the ones that say check your quarter inch seam on your machine. I had to move my needle over one position after I tried a test of 6 strips 1 and half inches and sewed them together then measured them and they were all out a fraction. Adjusted my needle setting and all went much better. Having said that - I still have terrible blocks and points confound me. I have dyslexic tendencies and maths is a huge issue for me so quilting poses its challenges in other ways as wellf or me. But I work it and let it stretch me but not crush me. Keep up the great work. It is worth the tormenting times for those great moments of colour and gift giving.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 AM

Oh poor baby, I know that feeling but do NOT give up!

Breathe, relax.

do you sew your blocks together with the seams 'opposing each other' so that they nestle together (think spooning with hubby), then when you stitch, your points should meets perfectly.

This is what saved me from giving up on quilting.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 PM

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU all so much for the kind works and encouragement. I stepped away from my machine for a couple of evenings. Wandered the house trying to figure out what to do with myself. Then I just went to Girl Cave and looked at the projects I have lined up like little marching soldiers - decided that I'm going to put those nasty HSTs away for now (read:UFO) and shift gears; I have some beautiful Fairy Fabric from Michael Miller that I'm making an applique Halloeen Table runner. Can't wait until boys go to bed tomorrow night - I'm going right down to start working on it!

Thanks again - Sharon
Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 PM

don t try so hard quilting is not suppose to be a chore!! why dont you try something easier and work your way up slowly and learning along the way
Old 06-27-2011, 03:52 PM

Try and remember quilts are dimensional and really only you will notice.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:44 PM

Maybe you chose the wrong pattern. I did a log cabin as my first with Eleanor Burns and it turned our great.