Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one getting nothing done? >

Am I the only one getting nothing done?

Am I the only one getting nothing done?

Old 02-10-2012, 03:06 PM

No, I wander around my sewing room, which needs a major re-organization. I bought new storage bins and all I have managed to do is make a bigger mess...I just walk around turn off the light and leave.... I just can't seem to get motivated in any one direction....I have tons of patterns in notebooks, lots of fabric, and half finished projects. And yet, I can't hone in on one....And it is driving me crazy. I sit in front of the tv, bored out of my mind/ AND YET, I can't get a project started.......<sigh>
Ellen
Old 02-11-2012, 12:35 AM

i've been in a slump, too. mine is emotional, kind of a deep well, but i'm climbing out. friends here have reached out and helped, so you never know who your angels are going to be! but the biggest change, once i was ready, was an idea of something new and exciting for me within quilting. it's all about modern quilting and art quilting and i'm very excited about learning about it and doing it. it may not interest you, and that's ok, but there will be something within quilting that you haven't explored yet and that can help re-kindle the interest and get your heart beating faster again! meanwhile, there are a whole lot of friendly angels, needles ready and arms out stretched if you need a tug or just a little pull or push. this board is full of them!
Old 02-11-2012, 03:21 AM

I am in the same boat as you ladies are. I have 14 quilts I need to get busy quilting. I have not ambition. I did sew a couple of aprons for my work recreation club, but that is it. Life is still good and it will eventually get done.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:12 AM

ARRGHH finished up one quilt that I worked on for a year and want to get started on one using some fabulous batiks I bought. But I can't find a pattern I like, doodling isn't working, NOTHING is gelling.......boooooo
Old 02-11-2012, 05:31 AM

My quilting goes in spurts and starts. When you have your replacement trained at work, and you are home more, I think your quilting slump will end. Just relax and don't worry about it. (If you need the baby quilt done, then set aside a few minutes a day to finish that project.)
Old 02-11-2012, 05:57 AM

I found the last few months before I retired to be pure torture. I had to force myself to do everything. I wanted my retirement to start then and there, but I had to wait a little while longer. Do you have any other hobbies other than quilting? Forcing yourself to sew for a predetermined time sounds good or even I'm just going to do this step tonight. I'm going to make one block or two blocks or cut one part of a pattern. I love being retired. I also found it took about a year after I retired to finally wind down. I did not realize how much stress I was feeling until I retired.
The first time the weather is really bad and you don't have to drive in it to go to work is a milestone. It takes a while, but it is wonderful. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:24 PM

Sometimes it's hard getting back to quilting. Perhaps you just needed a break? Oh, yeah I should be speaking to myself as I have been slow to getting back to quilting too. I need to get off the internet! LOL
Old 02-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Jim

I always seem to need a sewing break after Christmas...I seem to work best when pressured by customers orders and the things I want to get done for our own selves. I rest and only do things I absolutely have to do...I have a twister quilt I only work on at quilt club and have made 9 bow ties for my 91 yr old FIL, other than that, I've nothing except dreaming about what I am gonna do. I have lots of new plans but have promised myself that I am gonna finish some UFO's and some quilts I've promised before I work on stuff for myself. Then today I come home with more fabric for another 6 bow ties and the plans to make a quilt for a little 2 yr old boy who has just gotten home from the hospital after a month stay...he had a tumor removed and has to undergo chemo..I think he deserves a huggable quilt. Dream about what you want to do...new magazines, browse new books and enjoy the last month before retirement...thats an adjustment in itself...you now are entering a great part of your life...retirement..it has rewards of its own and the inspirations will come to you and after a few months you'll be asking yourself..."How did I ever get anything done?..I always have something plannned"...LOL
Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 PM

I have been in a slump too. So much I would like to do, but with working all day, and gone several evening for activities, I have no energy to sew when I do have "free time" and end up just reading, or sleeping. I sure hope that I get out of my slump....and everyone else too!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 AM

I have slowed down too after the mad rush to finish four quilts for my nieces for Christmas. But now I am excited about our guild's retreat in a week. Yay!