Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • HELP for our District Attorny's quilt >
  • HELP for our District Attorny's quilt

• HELP for our District Attorny's quilt

Old 02-17-2011, 09:32 AM

I am just beside my self on this quilt and need help please.
    As you can see from the pics I need some help with this. Also he wants the Alabama logo material around the outer borders. What can I do to make this more appealing to him. I have used items from his tee shirts to make these designs.

this is from his drawings
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]130182[/ATTACH]

my first try
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]130183[/ATTACH]

second try
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]130184[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-130177.jpe   attachment-130178.jpe   attachment-130179.jpe  
    Old 02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
    Power Poster

OOh, dunno. This is a toughy. Is this supposed to look like a suit/shirt? Maybe a pin wheel block where the flags are? It's a really big expanse of black fabric. Can you maybe substitute a black batik for the black? How about making black/charcoal grey pinwheels or 4 or 9 patches instead of the solid black squares. Still would be very dark, but would break it up a bit. If it's not supposed to be a suit, then I would see about moving his campaign logo fabric and making it horizontal. He's probably a great DA, quilt designer, maybe not so much.
    Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    OOh, dunno. This is a toughy. Is this supposed to look like a suit/shirt? Maybe a pin wheel block where the flags are? It's a really big expanse of black fabric. Can you maybe substitute a black batik for the black? How about making black/charcoal grey pinwheels or 4 or 9 patches instead of the solid black squares. Still would be very dark, but would break it up a bit. If it's not supposed to be a suit, then I would see about moving his campaign logo fabric and making it horizontal. He's probably a great DA, quilt designer, maybe not so much.
    He wanted a V in the quilt of white material on a black background with alabama around outside of quilt. and as you can see it does nothing for it. I did a Kentucky log cabin on the front of this quilt and he wanted this on the back side.
    Judy
    Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 AM

How about going into Word and finding a nice font like Engravers MT and making the "V" a pretty fancy monogram letter. Then anything else you do will look better too. That large it should be pretty easy to do.
    Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 AM

Also could you work the symbol of the lady holding the scales of justice in somewhere? Maybe quilted in a contrasting thread in the black area? Or maybe the words "truth, justice, liberty"
    Old 02-17-2011, 11:56 AM

If he is that determined to have his white V, I would make the white V about one inch wide (finished) and find a picture of the state, county or city seal. Print the seal onto fabric and applique it in the middle of the quilt down towards the bottom. Let the white V look/act as a ribbon holding the seal so it looks like medal on a ribbon.
    Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 AM

I you had more fabric you could do this on a larger scale using the "V" that you already have.

something like this but on a larger scale
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]135265[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-135260.jpe  
    Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by seahug
    He wanted a V in the quilt of white material on a black background with alabama around outside of quilt. and as you can see it does nothing for it. I did a Kentucky log cabin on the front of this quilt and he wanted this on the back side.
    Judy
    Ok, so this is really the back of a pretty quilt, even though he thinks it's the front? Heck, in that case I wouldn't worry about it and just quilt it. Maybe, if it's a "v" for victory, then just enlarge a "V" from a font and applique it on.
    Old 02-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Well, I sure want to see this one when it is finished! Should be really interesting!
    Old 02-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Originally Posted by seahug
    Judy
    Ok, so this is really the back of a pretty quilt, even though he thinks it's the front? Heck, in that case I wouldn't worry about it and just quilt it. Maybe, if it's a "v" for victory, then just enlarge a "V" from a font and applique it on.

His last name starts with a "V" lol