Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another question from another newbie >

Another question from another newbie

Another question from another newbie

Old 02-22-2011, 03:28 PM

I want to make a baby blanket using two pieces of flannel. When I line them up back to back, should the selvage edges be going the same direction or is it better to have one selvage edge lined up with the cross weave - stretchy side? They are 1 yd square. I want to practice binding and fmq.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:31 PM

If it's only practice, then it doesn't really matter. Otherwise I would turn them so the grain runs across each other. That way they will be more stable, I think. I don't use flannel too much because of all the stretching issues. I've made a couple, and they're fine, but harder to sew with.

Good luck!!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:50 AM

If this is the first time you have practiced FMQ you might want to try practicing on cheap cotton rather than flannel but whatever you do....HAVE FUN! :D
Old 02-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
If this is the first time you have practiced FMQ you might want to try practicing on cheap cotton rather than flannel but whatever you do....HAVE FUN! :D

I wouldn't use flannel either when you are trying to learn FMQ it wouldn't be very forgiving for learning. You're better off using cheap muslin sandwiches for learning new techniques and practicing your binding. When using flannel I would use it grain to grain and not opposite as you would have stretching issues. I'm not sure where you are in your quilting but when you're starting off your best bet is to stay away from flannel until you are comfortable in your skin with quilting. Have fun tho no matter what you decide to do...remember there is truly no right or wrong way only what you prefer....after all that's how we learn. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We're just here to share what we have learned.